Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:56 PM   #1

Default The price of a SONY lens just shot up... dig deeper

I am sure glad I bought all my lenses when I did, as they have done nothing but go up in price for the past three years. I mean, the SONY lenses have not gotten any better, just dustier, as they have sat on the shelves, for at least those same three years.

I wonder if they have the build dates on these things, because the chances are that your brand new CZ 85mm f/1.4 or CZ 135mm f/1.8 could be four years old. That's less than amusing. And that $6299 300mm f/2.8 G SSM and $1999 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM ... are more than likely, the re-badged Minolta-builds, from 2004. Seven years old! And now, far more than they cost then... I guess you are paying the "RENT" for the space they continue to take up!

What I am saying, there is no increased value to them. They are not new. Same lens, just older. They did not cost a thing to build, year after year, as they just sat there.

Honestly, you would have been better off buying them all on credit and paid the silly interest. At least you would have had FULL use of the lenses. Now, they are going to stick it to you, anyway... and you did not even have the use of the glass. Nothing personal, here, but I guess the joke is on you, pal.

Buy big and buy early. Mark my words, "Waiting is counterproductive in photography." Somethings just won't wait.

Again, you should buy early.
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:06 AM   #2

The problem is that the US Dollar / Japanese Yen exchange rate has dipped in recent months, so our dollars buy less on the international market. It's not just Sony and it's not just lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:02 PM   #3

Yes the dollar has taken a dip, but not as big of a dip as the price increase indicates.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:39 PM   #4

Sigma's prices have jumped too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote