Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:48 AM   #1

Default DxOMark posts Review and Test Results for the Sony A77

See http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/New...P-APS-C-camera
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Administrator

I saw that, and it also shows that the A580 has around 1/3 stop better noise levels compared to the A55 or A77.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/734|0/%28brand%29/Sony/%28appareil2%29/675|0/%28brand2%29/Sony/%28appareil3%29/685|0/%28brand3%29/Sony

But, those tests don't take a lot of other things into consideration (for example, detail at a given print/viewing size). You can have a lower signal to noise ratio with less detail compared to a model with a higher s/n ratio. ;-)

What I've noticed by comparing samples in controlled conditions using the comparometer at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM is that if you look at ISO 6400 images (standard test charts in daylight lighting and mannequin in tungsten lighting), at the same viewing sizes (for example, downsized so that they're the same size as your display), the A77 images appear to have more detail, sharpness, saturation and contrast (perhaps even a bit too much contrast for my tastes with default settings), with no more noticeable noise compared to the A580 images at the same viewing size, even though the A580 images may appear to be very slightly better at 100% size.

I haven't tried printing them yet to compare them. But, I suspect the same thing will be true (the A77 is going to beat it at any viewing/printing size you'd expect to use, once other parameters like contrast, sharpness and saturation are equalized between them).

Now, the A77 firmware is pre-release (for example, Imaging-Resource is using version 0.58 and I don't know what version DxOMark is using for their tests from RAW files). So, Sony may have tweaked it since then (lowering the contrast, saturation and sharpness defaults some from those images, and perhaps tweaking the sensor output to RAW some for the default sensitivity curve and NR, as newer Sony sensors appear to be somewhat tunable for RAW output, as we've seen from previous firmware updates with NR changes impacting output)

I haven't done the same thing with RAW files yet (converted files from both cameras and compared them). But, I suspect that if you're looking at equivalent viewing and print sizes that you'd be likely to use (versus trying to compare the output at 100% size, which isn't a great way to compare them given the resolution difference), the A77 IQ is going to top the A580, despite the light loss through the translucent mirror.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:28 AM   #3

dxo are okay nice to know info, but it really does not mean much with end results.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
dxo are okay nice to know info, but it really does not mean much with end results.
No, it really doesn't.

Why do any of use need such incredible resolving cameras or lenses?

Are we going to get better shots with the new a77? One's that we couldn't get with our a700s?

For me, I could have been content with my old KM5D and the kit lens.

I guess it's just how we enjoying our hobby and the technology associated with it.

With the exception of those who make a living with photography.

I don't really need one, but I can't wait to get one!!

Looks like an incredible camera, but I wish they would have left the quick navi the same.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:30 AM   #5

The dxo mark are raw process, so depending on your raw app and work flow. But dxo used the same process, not customizing it for each sensor. So it is nice to know, but I do not take the info into much account when buy a camera.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:37 AM   #6

DxOMark.com is the only website that publishes results of objective tests on camera sensors. If that's all there is, then that's all we've got.

The predigested scores that DxOMark publishes are irrelevant. What really counts is the SNR 18% and Dynamic Range measurements. As much as I appreciate those two measurements, I think the rest of the drivel they publish detracts from the good work they do.

It's all about image quality, and image quality is all about noise and dynamic range. All the other stuff on their site is how they interpret how those two measurements will affect the images you will get. They're trying to make the raw data digestible, but instead, they make it subjective and open to criticism. The raw data isn't that indigestible, and their attempts just obscure the important stuff.

The A580 outperforms the A77 in both noise and dynamic range, but there's still that 24MP, 12 fps, 11 cross type focus point thing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote