Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:44 PM   #11

Here's a link to the Sigma (Japan) Site for the issue:

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...nfo_100910.htm

Newer lenses are already modified to work on the A33 & A55, will have a special lable on the box.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:04 AM   #12

I did not even know about this regarding the Sigma lenses, so my current daily lens is out unless I get it serviced. I purchased it several years ago, I assume that does not matter.

As for the viewfinder on the a580 I actually have the magnifying eyepiece that I think will work on the a580 even though it is not officially supported.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:50 PM   #13

I have looked through the viewfinder of both the a550 and the a580 and I may be wrong but I remember the viewfinder on the a580 being slightly brighter. It could have been a lens with a larger aperture.

And speaking of viewfinders.

I know that the newer SLTs offer a bunch of better features like improved AF, video and 15FPS (a77) but, being someone who has fixed many different things for many years the skeptical side of me about wonders about the additional electronics incorporated into these newer models.

I haven't heard of any EVFs problems yet. But that's just one more thing that could go wrong. And if it does your camera is useless.

I think there will always be a place for OVFs. It would be a shame if Sony or any other manufactures stops making them.

With that being said, I am looking forward to getting my own a77 in the future. I'll just buy an extended warranty.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:01 PM   #14

Mike. Did you ever try the viewfinder extension from Sony?

Raistlin 01. I too have the Sony extender for the viewfinder. I found it to be great when shooting in portrait orientation. In landscape it is not long enough to let me get my eye up there and still be looking through the center of my glasses. My nose is big but not that big. To me an extender should come back far enough that I can hold the camera without twisting my head because my nose is smashed into the lcd.

This has been my only complaint with my A550.

There seems to be good things to be had with the SLT cameras. There also seemed to be some teething pains.

I also own Sigma lenses so have tried to follow what has been going on and I have not read any bad reports on Sigma refusing or being unable to re-chip a lens. Anything with the HSM should not be an issue.

I inquired into having mine done to get it out of the way (just in case ) and was told my 70-200 f/2.8 APO HSM(non os and recently discontinued) APO lens would be fine. My 50-150 f/2.8 APO HSM may or may not work so I will stop by a shop the next time I am in Houston to check. Sigma ask me why I was asking if I did not own a SLT camera. I told them I might one day and wanted to be prepared and was told no problem.

Steve

I just reread one of your posts and saw where you wrote there is no auto focus in video mode with the A580? That is a bummer.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:28 PM   #15

Yeah, I am having a hard time making a decision. Latest/greatest/newest technology vs proven technology. I agree regarding the EVF, something that can break much easier than OVF, not to mention it decreases battery life.

My Sigma lens is not even the HSM version and my 50mm is a Sony SAM lens, I also have a Minolta beercan lens. I really just want to spend money on a body (don't have my a300 any more) and not on new lenses. If I go a580 then that will fit what I "should" do, but if I go with the SLT I am going to want to upgrade my lens.

Decisions decision, and of course the a65 is not even out yet for m to test out and I have no DSLR right now so I am itching to buy one.

Edit: Just ordered the a580 body only through Amazon but sold by Willoughby's (who is listed as a Sony authorized retailer). Since I live in NJ no tax & free ship so with the money I saved on tax & ship I bought a 16gb Sony Pro HG Duo (MSHX16B) and the Sony LCD screen protector. So that should be all that I am spending on this upgrade..... for now... lol

Last edited by Raistlin_01; Oct 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:39 PM   #16

I have both the 550 and 580 - the image in the viewfinder in the 580 to me is no larger, so I use the magnifiers on both, which helps. If you use the LCD hood, you will need the magnifier to get your eye close enough to the viewfinder (when the hood is collapsed, of course).

I also have the a55 and have not noticed the problem with Sigma lenses (yet?).

Aside from those issues, there is one other thing to consider, depending on the type of photography you do, and that is noise. If you do wildlife photography, especially birds at nearby feeders (or take pictures during concerts) and have only the one camera go for the SLT. All SLRs are noisy due to the action of the mirror. I bought the 580 because I have been led to believe from Sony statements that it will be the last of the true SLRs from them. It is a fine camera, but it is especially noisy (at least mine is), even more so than the 350 or 550.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:20 AM   #17

So I got to play around with the a580 at the park/playground taking some shot of my daughter. I am loving the a580 so far, everything about it is fantastic and miles ahead of my old a300. Shot some test video of her on a swing and even though no autofocus during video I am still very happy with the video capabilities.

The camera is pretty noisy like penolta said, but I remember my a300 was pretty noisy also.

The picture quality of the few pics I took blew me away. I also tried some indoor shots using the sigma lens and where my a300 would have failed the a580 was great.

I can't wait to really start using the a580 more often, going apple/pumpkin picking on Sunday so that should produce some fun shots. My buddy is bringing his T3i so we can compare.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:02 PM   #18
Administrator

Congrats.

With comparing currently shipping cameras, IMO, the A580 has the best "bang for the buck" compared to any of them, with a super nice 16MP CMOS Sensor with low noise, great color depth and high dynamic range.

It's very tough to beat. Even if you went with a much higher priced Nikon D7000 using the same sensor, the AF is probably more accurate with the A580 in many conditions, despite the "hype" associated with more focus points in the D7000 from what I can see of user frustration trying to get accurate focus using one with a smaller focus point that may be larger than it appears in the viewfinder), not to mention that the A580 has a larger internal buffer for continuous shooting, with in body stabilization built in that works with any lens you use with it.

Keep us posted on how well it works for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_01 View Post

Edit: Just ordered the a580 body only through Amazon but sold by Willoughby's (who is listed as a Sony authorized retailer). Since I live in NJ no tax & free ship so with the money I saved on tax & ship I bought a 16gb Sony Pro HG Duo (MSHX16B) and the Sony LCD screen protector. So that should be all that I am spending on this upgrade..... for now... lol
I think I would have made the same choice. Congratulations, as Jim said that's a great sensor in the a580 with great IQ.

Enjoy.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
Mike. Did you ever try the viewfinder extension from Sony?
No I never have. I never even looked into them until you asked. I did shoot with an a55 for a while and the viewfinder protrudes from the rear on that camera. I do like the way that a55 viewfinder keeps your nose from smashing into the rear LCD.