Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:09 AM   #21

Anyone have a link to something that will extend viewfinder by a small amount? I saw on the sonystyle site that they have the viewfinder cups but I cannot figure out if they are the exact replacements or larger than original.

I tried the magnifying eyepiece and I could not notice much improvement of the image in the viewfinder. Not to mention it looks like crap on the a580 because it is not as wide as the original cup.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:17 AM   #22
Administrator

Those are just rubber cups, and you can use the wrong one on some of the cameras, too. For example, I noticed that one from my Konica Minolta 5D will fit on a Sony A700, and vice-versa.

But, some of them have slightly different shapes on the outside (even though the part that slides down in front of the viewfinder is the same). As a result, they may not look like they fit right (curved corners versus squared corners, etc.), and I suspect you may have a problem with the eye sensors with some designs, too. So, it's probably best to stick with the model designed for your camera (and my assumption is that the correct model is an exact replacement, but I don't know that for sure).

Some are thicker than others when comparing the different models they shipped with cameras (and that you can buy replacements from Sony for). But, that just has the effect of making your eye further away or closer to the viewfinder, versus changing any optical characteristics.

I used to leave mine off sometimes with my 5D, so that I could get closer to the viewfinder versus further away. lol

But, if too much light enters through the viewfinder (as you may get with the eye cup left off), that can throw off your camera's metering (which is one reason they ship with a viewfinder cover so that when you're using the camera on a tripod, you can block the light entering through the viewfinder after you finish framing so that your metering isn't impacted).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:04 PM   #23

I believe this is what your looking for.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:06 PM   #24

Sorry that link did not work. try this.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921665842564
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Sorry that link did not work. try this.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921665842564
No, I actually have that magnifying eyepiece and while it does fit on the a580 it is not wide enought to cover where the original eye cup goes. Not that looks should matter but it looks like crap on the a580. It does stick out a little bit further but it covers the eye sensor and I cannot even notice a difference in the viewfinder image with that magnifying eyepiece. I tried going back and forth between regular and magnifying and I could not notice an improvement. Maybe I need to try it again and setup a tripod on a fixed location and then compare.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote