Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1

Default A580 vs a55

If you were getting a new D-SLR moving up from a bridge camera (I own and use the HS20 which is simpily the best camera I have used to date) which of these would you get and why? For those who have had hands on with both which one gives better IS and lower light images. I know some of the low loght stuff is lens dependent and I can't afford a long zoom 2.8 or 1.4 so its gonna be your standard zoom lenses on this camera. So if their is a lower light advantage in the body I;d like to know. Video is not important to me as any video I have captured with a digital camera is always at 640x480.

uses for me would be (if I decide to make the move)
General newspaper use covering events, government meetings, some breaking news etc (for those that know me the Fuji would still be used to capture images of fires)
light sports (just to be able to grab a usable image for newspaper not looking at going into this full time)
faster shot to shot and burst mode for action
better in lower light than my HS20 although the HS20 does a good job.

Already own a hot shoe that would work on the camera and have plenty of SDHC cards.

Thinking about moving up but not 100% sure. Weighing the options. Any and all comments appreciated.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:28 AM   #2

I went for the 580 but it was a close call. It's slightly better in low light and battery life is better and I think the buffer is bigger. i also got the 35 1.8 which is great in low light and relatively cheap.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:48 AM   #3

Between the two, the A580 has a slight edge over the A55 as far as noise and dynamic range are concerned.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:49 AM   #4

Thanks to a PM conversation with TCav I am now looking also looking at the Pentax K-5 as well. Sure its more expensive but it would certain stand up to the type of shooting I do and that is a god thing. But the main issue is getting the right lens in the range I need for my newspaper work.

Thanks to everyone for all their advise

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote