Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
I was the instigator of this thread originally. I bought a used Tamron 18-250 and its been fine. I believe it is slightly higher rated than the 18-270 on Dyxum.

My walk around lens is the Tamron 18-50 2.8 and it is a very good lens. I now want to buy a good prime lens plus after visiting Cades Cove in the Smokies, I really want something with more reach. I would love the Sony 7-400 G lens but its out of my price range. I am pondering the Tamron 200-500.

Before you buy, give KEH.com a look along with B&H's used lenses. My 18-250 looked brand new and I think I paid about $250 for it.
What kind of camera do you use with the Tamron 18-250?
edtorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:06 PM   #22

First, a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens will never be as good a multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges. They're not as sharp, and have more distortion, chromatic aberration and vignetting than more conventional lenses and are often more expensive to boot. The only advantage is not having to change lenses if it is capable of what you want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post
4. Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens with Built in Motor for Sony DSLR Cameras - $649.
Optically, probably the best of the lenses you listed.

Quote:
5. Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens for Sony Digital SLR Cameras - $479.
In some respects, a little better, but in many respects a little worse. The "Macro" is a bit of a stretch. None of these really qualifies as macro, so for that, you're probably going to need another lens anyway.

Also, this lens is stabilized, which is superfluous on a Sony Alpha. You'll have to remember to keep it turned off.

Quote:
6. Sony SAL18250 Alpha DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens w/Lens Hood - $648.
The build quality is reputed to be better but, optically, it's not as good as the other two.

Quote:
7. Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Ultra Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras - $419.
This lens trails the pack, and deservedly so.

Quote:
I'm a beginner in DSLR and I have a Sony A33 and I currently use the camera only when I'm on tourist travel, nothing professional or fancy shooting. I do love to shoot landscape that is why I wanted a high zoom lense and also like to shoot macro shots like flowers, foods & etc... and also of course love to take portrait and candid shots also. And so I'd love to carry only 1 lens for all this and would appreciate anyone's suggestions.
You must decide between convenience and image quality. Convenience is fleeting, while image quality is forever. If you're determined to get one of these, I recommend the Tamron, but you'll still need something for your macro work.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:51 PM   #23

Quote:
What kind of camera do you use with the Tamron 18-250?
Sony A580
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote