Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

View Poll Results: Is $45 a a reasonable price for the Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT zoom lens?
No. $45 is a lot more than it's worth. 3 50.00%
Yes. That's about right. 3 50.00%
No. It's worth a lot more than that. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:24 AM   #1

Default Such a Deal I have for You!

Apparently, Sony USA stumbled onto a case or two of old 18-70 DT lenses, tucked away in the corner of a warehouse someplace.

One of Sony's current bundles is the Sony a33 DSLR camera body (SLT-A33) with an 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT zoom lens (SAL-1870) and a system carrying case (LCS-SC5) for $600.

The odd thing is that the a33 body is on sale for $500, and the case is $55. That means Sony thinks the 18-70 is worth $45!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:52 AM   #2

I went to a Sony store last week to look at a 700 . It was bundled with that lens for $899. To me that lens looks like a plastic toy. It might be good but I wonder how long it will last.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Default Probably, the worst thing...

Probably, the worst thing you can do for your photography is use that awful piece of glass. The SONY 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 is the biggest mistake that was ever been offered, other than the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 non-USM. These useless pieces of optic are some of the very reasons people give up on an DSLR. They never get to thinking it could be the brand new, poor constructed "kit" lens that is messing up their shot, so they take the camera back, thinking they simply can not get a good shot out of it.

The fact is: They are right! With that lens, it will NOT happen. No matter how expensive the camera is... a580, a700, a850, a900, a77... if you use trash for your optic... you get trash out of your camera. At least if you shoot through a Coke-bottle bottom, youi know the shot will be a loser... this thing is offered as something of value... so it's worse. Personally, I think it is tantamount to fraud. A false hope.

A basic rule of thumb is that a decent lens starts at $200 for a fixed focal length one (PRIME)... immediately goes to $500 for a variable focal length (ZOOM). That's just kind of the rules when purchasing glass for your DLSR (or SLT). If you buy new glass for less than this, you are risking crappy imaging.

Just spend the cash for good glass and forget about it. You will not be looking back. You will have the lens for this camera... and the next one... so on and so forth. If you have come to this forum for advice, you now have it. Put it to work and tell your significant other... "you are not into wasting time or money."

If you have read this far, you have been warned.

A couple of good choices for the APS-C sensor bodies are:

the TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical
the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical
the SONY AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SAM
or the new SONY 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM

Using anything less is just fooling yourself. Shoot with the best lens you can afford, but no less than the prices quoted above. Learn or burn
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Nov 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:31 AM   #4

Dyxum.com has the Sony/Minolta 18-70 kit lens with the lowest User Rating of any Sony/Minolta lens, and that's with more reviews than any other lens except the "Beercan" and the Minolta 50/1.7.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:27 PM   #5

I like my old Sigma 17-70 macro non-hsm lense, takes some pretty nice shots.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:39 PM   #6

The Sigma 17-70 is a very good lens. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued in deference to the stabilized version which isn't as good.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:42 PM   #7
Administrator

The 18-70mm on sale was originally designed by Konica-Minolta for use with their 6MP camera models (Maxxum/Dynax 5D and 7D).

But, higher resolution sensors place more demands on the lens quality needed, and the older lens design just can't resolve enough line pairs/mm for more densely packed higher resolution sensor models. We saw that when the 14MP Sony models like the A350 were introduced, where they were not resolving any more detail than you got with the 10MP models with that lens.

With the older 6MP cameras, it wasn't *that* bad of a lens through most of the focal range. But, with newer higher resolution models, that lens became the weak link in the chain, which is probably why Sony ditched it and designed a newer 18-55mm kit lens with better resolving power.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:10 PM   #8

I got rid of mine as soon as I found a buyer. I hope that he has forgiven me by now. I replaced it with a Maxxum 28-105 mm xi zoom and couldn't be happier. The thing weighs a ton which helps with stability.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote