Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:27 PM   #1

Default A33 overheating

I was in the market for an FZ150 for a variety of reasons including the tilt lcd, EVF and zoom as an companion for my Pentax Kx, but the prices for the A33 have dropped to the point where the camera combined with a discounted Tamron 18-200 is only a couple of hundred dollars more that the FZ150. I know the overheating subject has been done to death, but with extensive searching on the web there still does not seem to be a consensus to whether the camera overheats, even shooting still pictures. I will never use the video, so that is not the issue. I am a newspaper reporter who must get the shot. The question is, would you trust this camera not to overheat in a variety of weather conditions shooting only stills, but potentially a lot 5 fps runs? Thanks in advance. I appreciate any advice.

Last edited by pboerger; Nov 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:50 PM   #2

When I was searching for a new camera and I am a newspaper photographer (not straight reporter) I looked at several cameras and The Pentax K-5 was the one I choose. I looked a variety of Sony, Nikon and Canon and from what I read on the Sony A3 it didn't make it to my list of the 5 that I researched before I made the purchase. The only Sony on the list was the A77. I did read in more than one place at first that the A33 overheats which turned me in the the other direction. Like you I have to get the shot luckily I am not trying to write a story at the same time. My previous camera were Fuji SH10, Fuji HS20 and still using Olympus SW1050.

What is it that the Pentax doesn't do that makes you want to buy another camera especially another D-SLR or are you just buying a backup that will sit in the bag until something goes wrong.

Feel free to PM and I can offer more advice. I work for a weekly paper and take about 35,000 images a year.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
The question is, would you trust this camera not to overheat in a variety of weather conditions shooting only stills, but potentially a lot 5 fps runs?
No.

I live in the tropics. Am usually shooting in the sun in 84-92 F conditions. During about a third of my shooting sessions I have to stop and wait for the overheating indicator go away. Only once did it shut down to protect itself. I don't think I shoot fast, i.e., number of exposures a minute. I'm still learning the camera and consciously trying to slow down and think about what I'm doing, like I did with my film SLR way back when.

I shoot only stills, used bursts only to see how it worked, and almost always use the viewfinder. I know the latter increases the load on the battery, no idea if it increases the camera's temperature.

I knew about the overheating before buying and I'm OK with the shortcomings because for the longest time I've thought I would hate the bulk and weight of carrying a DSLR. Finally gave in and bought the A33 because a local retailer had priced the last of their stock so low that I decided to give DSLR a try despite the A33's problems. Using it has convinced me both that I want a DSLR and I that know someone who would be happy to have my used A33 as a gift.

Last edited by ItDontMeanAThing; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I figured with no response that it was a no go any way.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote