Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Default Logical Upgrade

Ive got an Alpha 200, which I like. I'm starting to realize its limitations. Which Sony camera body would be a logical "next step"?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:52 AM   #2

There are a number of directions you could go.

The current top-of-the-kine is the 24MP A77, folllowed closely by the 24MP A65, but due to the flooding in Thailand, these are in short supply.

The A580 and the A55 both use the same excellent 16MP sensor, but represent different paths for dSLR technology. The A580 is a conventional dSLR with a pentamirror viewfinder, while the A55 uses an electornic viewfinder and a fixed semitransparent mirror to feed the phase detection AF system. There are some advantages to the A55's "Translucent Mirror" technology (which is also used in the A77/A65, btw). For instance, the electronic viewfinder is bigger and brighter than an optical viewfinder, and it can even increase its brightness in low light situations, but it doesn't always work the way you expect, especially when using an external flash. It also doesn't have the resolution or responsiveness of an optical viewfinder, and all the indicators that appear above and below the frame in conventional dSLRs are superimposed on the frame. The fixed semitransparent mirror allows the AF system, which is in what used to be the pentaprism housing instead of the base of the camera where it is in conventional dSLRs, to operate continuously, so it has the potential for increased accuracy when shooting still images, and permits autofocus while recording video. The penalty is that the fixed mirror reduces the amount of light that reaches the sensor by about a/3 stop. The camera's exposure system compensates for that light loss by increasing the sensor's sensitivity, which results in a slight increase in image noise.

The upside is that whichever one you choose you'll get a better, more capable camera and that, except for the A55, all these models use the same batteries you've got for your A200. The downside is that they all use SD and SDHC cards, so you won't be able to continue using the CompactFlash cards you've got.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:01 PM   #3

I was wondering the same thing- upgrading from my a100 to - I was thinking of the a700 but after comparing it to the a580 I can't make up my mind. I don't care about live view or video but the 580 has a lot to offer. Any opinions on these two ?
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:49 PM   #4

A used A700 vs. a new A580?

The A700 would have to be pretty cheap for it to get my vote.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:52 PM   #5

I'd probably go with a used 580 rather than new. There's about a $100 difference at KEH.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp View Post
There's about a $100 difference at KEH.
That's the difference between a 1 year warranty and a 14 day return policy.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:17 PM   #7

I went from an a300 to the a580 and I am completely happy and loving my a580. The picture quality is excellent and it is very good in low light, I am able to use much higher ISO than the a300. Video mode is pretty good, don't use it often but it works well.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:23 AM   #8

I have been a Minolta/Sony user for several years going from the 7000i to the A100, then A700, then A900, then A580, and now the A77.

I am not a pro by any means but a semi knowledgeable amateur hobbyist shooting mostly family stuff, the grand kids sports, birds and nature, landscape, the stuff most of us shoot.

I will say this. There all good cameras and will take great photos. Features have improved over the years as we all know.

I think that the low light/high ISO thing totally blown out of proportion. How many of you have shot at ISO 3200 and above? I'll bet most of you put it on auto everything and go take pictures and that works pretty damned good 90% of the time. If the body your using is fast enough to focus and has good response to your input, put the correct lens on for the occasion and enjoy it.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's the difference between a 1 year warranty and a 14 day return policy.
keh.com also has a 6 month warranty on used gear now (it used to be 60 days, but they increased it to 6 months a while back). ;-)

http://www.keh.com/help.aspx#pe17
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote