Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Sony Lens Question

I am considering getting the A580 for the live view in conjunction with the articulating LCD. I have read many reviews. Am I to understand that it is only with Sony SAM lenses that you get the optimum live view and that third party lenses, Sigma, Tamron, will not work near as effectively? Appreciate any help you can give.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2011, 7:34 PM   #2
Administrator

I've seen reports that Contract Detect AF (a.k.a., Focus Check Live View) doesn't work as well with some third party lenses.

But, I doubt many people use that Live View mode, since it's going to be very slow, even with SAM/SSM lenses (just like Live View is slow on most other dSLR models).

Instead, just use the normal phase detect AF (a.k.a., Fast Autofocus) Live View mode, and AF speed is going to be just as fast as when you're using the Optical Viewfinder with either lens type.

That's because it still uses the camera's Phase Detect AF sensor assembly, making use of a separate Live View sensor in the viewfinder housing (so that it sees the same thing that would have been projected to the Optical Viewfinder). That Live View mode is very fast, whereas the Focus Check Live View Mode is a Contrast Detect System that uses the Camera's Main Imaging sensor to Autofocus (which is going to be slow, as in the Live View Systems found in competing dSLR models).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:31 PM   #3

Thanks much for the information. You made it clearer than any of the many reviews I read. Much appreciated.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote