Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
I've gleamed from all of your helpful comments that I should get the 580. Video, while I'm sure I will use it, is not my prime use. I do shoot in hot climates and the heating issue is a concern and I am bothered a bit by the possible slowing of my lenses, however slight. The only negative is switching from CF cards. I just added two good Lexar cards. Oh well... Thanx all for your helpful advice.
I have the a580 and love it, you won't regret it. I was also coming from a camera that used CF cards and I have a few Lexar pro cards left over. Instead of getting a SDHC card for the a580 I went with the fastest memory stick pro duo card, it is supposed to be faster than any SDHC card in this camera. Well this was true several months ago, maybe it isn't now but something to consider.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:26 AM   #12
Administrator

Make sure it's a Memory Stick Pro HG Duo (the HG part is very important), as the non HG cards are very slow in comparison (you need Pro HG cards to support the latest 8 bit parallel transfer modes).

The cards with Pro-HG in their names (for example Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo or Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo HX) are several times as the cards without HG in their names (for example, a slow card card would be a Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark II).

A card with a Mark II designation may be faster than the old cards, but it's still going to be *very* slow compared to the latest Pro-HG Cards.

The HG is the important part. If you don't see HG in the model name, the card doesn't support 8 bit parallel transfer modes.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Make sure it's a Memory Stick Pro HG Duo (the HG part is very important), as the non HG cards are very slow in comparison (you need Pro HG cards to support the latest 8 bit parallel transfer modes).

The cards with Pro-HG in their names (for example Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo or Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo HX) are several times as the cards without HG in their names (for example, a slow card card would be a Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark II).

A card with a Mark II designation may be faster than the old cards, but it's still going to be *very* slow compared to the latest Pro-HG Cards.

The HG is the important part. If you don't see HG in the model name, the card doesn't support 8 bit parallel transfer modes.
Thanks, I forgot about the HG part, it has to be the HG like JimC posted.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:04 PM   #14

Well, my A200 is packed and headed to B&H's used department. As soon as they evaluate it, I'll probably order the 580. I say probably as I have not changed my mind in a couple days. Thanx for the advice
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:02 PM   #15

Multi frame noise reduction..... Not sure if the a55 has it, but it's on the 580 and is a great feature.
antonlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
Well, my A200 is packed and headed to B&H's used department. As soon as they evaluate it, I'll probably order the 580. I say probably as I have not changed my mind in a couple days. Thanx for the advice
Are you going there in person or shipping it? I have been in there picking up a used tri-pod, that place is a mad house and the strangest store I have ever been in.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_01 View Post
I have been in there picking up a used tri-pod, that place is a mad house and the strangest store I have ever been in.
But it is a sight to see, isn't it?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:27 AM   #18

I visited the store in June and was blown away by it. No, I'm not going in person, I live in TN. My camera, according to UPS has been received so I hope they evaluate it soon as I'm itching to play with my new toy. I'm booking a trip to Gettysburg in a few months where I will give it a real workout. Our tour guide is a photo pro who is also licensed by the Feds as a tour guide to Gettysburg.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_01 View Post
... that place is a mad house and the strangest store I have ever been in.
You need to check out the storefronts along Canal Street.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You need to check out the storefronts along Canal Street.
I have, I live in NJ and work Downtown by South Street Seaport. I worked in Midtown by Rockefeller Plaza for eight years as well. Lots of strange stores in the city, but BH is def one of the strangest! Def a place one should go to if visiting NYC.