Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Again, 580 vs A55

Sorry to bring this up again. I've read previous comparisons and I'm still confused. I'm going to trade in my A200 and was set on the A55 but as I always do, I over analyze things to the point of utter confusion.

If I go with the A55, I'll have to buy an extra battery. If I buy the 580, I can keep one of mine making the price a virtual push. What are the simple pro's and cons of both cameras. I can't rationalize spending more than one of these. I appreciate your helping me out with this decision.

If it matters, I have two Tamron lenses:18-50 2.8 and the 18-250. I also have the new 43 flash. Forget the other letters/# of the model.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:12 AM   #2

Let's not worry about the battery which is not really an issue unless the A55 can'y use generic batteries. However, the A580 seems to be a safer bet since it doesn't have over-heating problem when used in hot climate area. I am not sure if Sony has come out with a fix on the over-heating problem. All your other equipments should work on either cameras.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:15 AM   #3

The EVF on the A55 doesn't have the resolution that a person with normal visual accuity would have with the optical viewfinder in the A580. Also, one thing about the EVF that bothers me is that, in an OVF, all the camera and exposure data is presented outside the frame, while in an EVF, it's superimposed on the frame. I know that, when using an EVF, I have a tendency to compose the image within the indicators, not the frame. That seals the deal for me.

To be fair though, the A55's EVF is (usually) brighter than the A580's OVF.

Another distinction you might consider is that the A55 doesn't have a vertical grip, while the A580 does.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 30, 2011 at 6:21 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:33 AM   #4

I think eventually Sony will stop the A5xx line and produce only mirrorless + NEX cameras (besides the P&S and FF). The demand for cameras such as the A580 is dropping by the minute.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:02 PM   #5

It is also my understanding that the A580 does not auto focus in video mode where the A55 does. I wish they would have stayed consistent so my battery grip would work.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:13 PM   #6

I have the a580 and in the end it was the low-light performance that swung it for me. There's a 2/3 stop loss on the A55 due to the mirror which is like turning your 18-50 2.8 into a 3.5. I've had some nice low-light photos using the 35 1.8 which I think I might have missed with the A55. The battery life is nice on the a580 but having to swap a battery occasionally shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

That said, Sony seems to be heavily focussed on the SLT design now and it bothers me that there's so much more the a580 could be capable of with firmware changes it will never get that I think I'd go with one of the SLTs if I was buying now.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:10 PM   #7

If you want to shoot a fair amount of video then the A55 is a better choice.
If only stills then the A580 is the best choice.
I opted for the A55 with video being the most important feature. It's my 3rd Alpha body so the stills are taken care of with the others.
Another important factor was it's small size. It's great for traveling.
There both excellent cameras.

I agree with Tullio, The new NEX 7 is a pretty incredible camera. If it is successful as it appears it will be, then it seems to be the direction Sony will choose for APS size sensor cameras..
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
I agree with Tullio, The new NEX 7 is a pretty incredible camera. If it is successful as it appears it will be, then it seems to be the direction Sony will choose for APS size sensor cameras..
All it needs is some more lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:53 AM   #9

I have no doubt Sony will gradually be adding new lenses as the system becomes more and more popular. The same occurred with m4/3. Today the m4/3 lens selection is pretty decent but they are not quite there yet (and that's two companies producing lenses).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:33 PM   #10

I've gleamed from all of your helpful comments that I should get the 580. Video, while I'm sure I will use it, is not my prime use. I do shoot in hot climates and the heating issue is a concern and I am bothered a bit by the possible slowing of my lenses, however slight. The only negative is switching from CF cards. I just added two good Lexar cards. Oh well... Thanx all for your helpful advice.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote