Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
They're about equally sharp, but the 70-300 has the extra range and it's also a 1:2 macro lens.
Yeah, but I don't like the gap between 50mm and 70mm.
And the 70-300 is also a lot more expensive and really heavy!

I'm probably going to order the 55-200mm at the same time with the 17-50mm, it's very affordable...my equipment is starting to look prety nice!

Didn't know that choosing a lens was such a hard decision...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:42 AM   #52

The Tamron 55-200 is also available with a Sony label on it, as the SAL-55200/2. The Sony version has its own internal AF motor, and reports are that the build quality is higher, but optically they're identical.

I don't know if this will make a difference, but if you occasionally switch from AF to MF, because of the Sony 55-200's own AF motor, you have to switch from AF to MF on the lens, while you'd switch from AF to MF on the body when using the 17-50. I'd consider it a minor annoyance, but if you do that a lot, you might stick with the Tamron instead of the Sony.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
Didn't know that choosing a lens was such a hard decision...
Welcome to the wonderful world of dSLRs! Picking the camera body is the easy part.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
while you'd switch from AF to MF on the body when using the 17-50.
Wait a sec', when reading reviews of the 17-50, the most common complait was this: one always needs to move the AF switch to MF for manual focus. You may not touch the focus ring while in the AF mode, even when the camera is off.

So, for MF, do I have to switch the button on the lens, or is it in-camera, or BOTH?

On another note TCAV, how do you keep your mirror and sensor clean on your SLT? How often do you change lenses?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:06 AM   #55

Quote:
Wait a sec', when reading reviews of the 17-50, the most common complait was this: one always needs to move the AF switch to MF for manual focus. You may not touch the focus ring while in the AF mode, even when the camera is off.
There are lenses that you can use the AF to get close and then fine tune the focus to suit yourself by adjusting the focus ring. The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is not one of those lenses, so if you want to adjust the focus that the AF gave you, you must switch to MF on the body. That's what that complaint is about. It's not a big deal. If that's all anyone is complaining about, then that's good.

BTW, the same is true of the Tamron 55-200 and the Sony 55-200. If nobody's complaining about it for those lenses, then it's a pretty minor issue in general.

But if you want to do manual focus, whether or not you've done AF, for the Tamron lenses, you switch to MF on the body, and for the Sony lens, you switch to MF on the lens.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:10 AM   #56

Quote:
On another note TCAV, how do you keep your mirror and sensor clean on your SLT? How often do you change lenses?
I haven't had a dirty mirror or sensor in quite some time, but as I understand it, a blower (not a blower-brush) works well. Failing that, I've used a wet swab once, years ago. The kit I bought had three swabs, and I've had 2 left for about 4 years now. I should probably just throw it away after all this time.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:04 PM   #57

I've only cleaned my A55 sensor once and have not had to clean the "transparent mirror" at all. I've had the A55 for over a year and I change my lens quite often. I also use the Sigma 18-250mm lens a lot. If I get a dust dust on the sensor a blower has handled it fine.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:21 PM   #58

with sensor or mirror cleaning it is pot luck on when you need to clean it. It will get dust or dirt on it eventually. But there is no time table. Just read up on how to clean properly.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:40 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Wow ST, I've just noticed how many camera bodies you have...may I ask why do you need so many?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:10 PM   #60

I each camera is good for something, I use my 60D for my club stuff and aviation photography, the 500D is used for when I want a small dslr for travel. And my olympus pen is for when I want to travel light.