Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1

Default Considering the A99... please add this to what the a77 has

1) REMOTE FLASH CONTROL (RF)
I am simply sick and tired of always having to grab a stupid wired adapter to make use of my hot shoe with standard flash devices.
I contend that RF "wireless" (not infrared) flash control needs to be implemented (& menu-controlled) INSIDE the a99-SLT, to separate it from the rest of the pack animals. This is a camera that the more able-bodied photographers can make use of without having to scrap around looking for third party items to make their flash suites work. How unsophisticated that all seems, especially in this day and age.

2) A true FOUR-second burst mode at 10-12 fps (36MP/48MP) - let's get "SPORTS Camera" stamped on the notation for this camera.

3) Twin CF Media recording capability - 64GB/128GB/256GB with RAID-1 option.

4) 32-foot matched wireless "RF" shutter release

5) REMOTE operation capability with iPhone or other modular interface, capable of recording images.

Any other features, folks?
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

My Gear List for α850 & α700
flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Jan 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM.
DonSchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2

How about automatic backup thru your iPhone to iCloud?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:24 PM   #3

My guess is that Sony already has the feature set for a 'Full Frame" SLT carved in stone, and isn't likely to make major changes to what's already the best flash system available, or to impliment features that third parties already offer.

Canon and Nikon have the marketshare that will keep third party manufacturers clinging to their coattails. Sony doesn't. If Sony makes significant changes to its existing flash system for a single, high dollar camera, third parties would almost certainly scoff at the idea of developing products for it.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4

Default SONY may have mistakenly locked in...

While SONY may have decided on what they would like to cheap out and have in their Full Frame offering, the suggestions I decided on are the new and improved approach that us method actors want in their new camera.

Guess that calls for a substantial rethink on their part, eh? Better rewrite that feature list... or there will be another camera that won't get sold. Why would I spend all that money for another full frame when I can get it all in the a850 I have parked on my tripod... or go half-priced with the a77? New camera, new features... ALL OF THEM!
Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Jan 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:44 AM   #5

Good luck with that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:05 PM   #6

Default Who's torturing who?

Well, I'm not the bad guy, here. SONY has chosen to neuter the OVF DSLR... and inflict its decision on the rest of us.

The "best" flash system, yet... just means the real improvement has not been tried and realized. Get behind a natural progression of the future, not a forced one. IF technology is a cheap and unreliable solution, in practice. Just add any or all of these components:

1. a little sunlight
  2. a good ambient lamp of strong enough brilliance near the IF sensor
  3. an object that visibly blocks the IF transmission beam between the transmitter and the flash - such as a reflecting umbrella, a softbox, etc. (remember, it is all line-of-sight)

and... voila, you get no flash. My push is to solidify the transmission method to one that works, always. Let it be RF. The results have been back for several years and it simply works... and when I'm out there, pressing the shutter release, having something that works reliably sounds mighty good to moi... just in case you only get the ONE shot. Of course, there is nothing written in stone that says you could not have both transmission methods in your camera system. Choices are a good thing, too.

Be careful what you wish for.

flickr & Sdi

Last edited by DonSchap; Jan 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM.