Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:23 AM   #1

Default SLT's D.O.F preview button...?

*The button on the front just under the lens.

Feels like I'm missing something, but this button seems to be completely useless on my a33?

from what I've read, it gives you a preview of the depth of field when you hold the button down... what use is this when I have live view already showing DOF? All it seems to be doing is removing the side icons which I could do anyway with the display button.

From the menu, I can change it to focus hold where I presume it holds the focus... not something I need when shooting single shot AF 99% of the time...

seems like such a waste of a well placed button. Would had been more useful for toggling AF area or HDR.

Am I missing something...? is there more programmable actions for this on the a35, 55, 65 or 77?
Mrderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:30 AM   #2

dSLRs keep the lens' aperture at its widest so the viewfinder will be as bright as possible (Yes, even with the SLTs) until you press the shutter button. At that point, the camera lets the lens stop down to the selected aperture (selected by either the user or the autoexposure system), it makes the exposure, and then returns the lens to its widest aperture.

If the selected aperture is pretty close to the maximum aperture, the DoF Preview button isn't going to show much difference. It's only when the selected aperture is different from the maximum aperture that the DoF preview button will show anything different as far as focus and bokeh goes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:18 AM   #3

ah! thanks cav, you're a star.

Never really paid much attention to DOF other than when I try to get good bokeh.
Mrderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4

If it's bokeh you're after, you'll keep the aperture large, and the DoF preview won't be much different than what you see without it. The DoF preview is mostly to see what's in focus when the aperture is smaller and the bokeh is less.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The DoF preview is mostly to see what's in focus when the aperture is smaller and the bokeh is less.

So even when the camera is set at f/22, on the LCD screen I'm in fact looking at the image as it would be at the widest aperture?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post

So even when the camera is set at f/22, on the LCD screen I'm in fact looking at the image as it would be at the widest aperture?
Until you press the DoF Preview button, yeah.