Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The manual that comes with the A65 in the US, is an abbreviated version of the one the rest of the world gets. The real A65 manual is available at http://download.sony-asia.com/consum...4287948111.pdf, and the Lens Compensation is mentioned on page 164.
Yes, I am fully aware if the manual - I downloaded it prior to purchase of the camera. However, there does not seem to be any mention of whether the function applies to RAW, JPEG or both. I'll have to do some experimenting. Since I really have very little knowledge of RAW, I will defer to your expertise. I do see what DXO did to the JPEG images taken with the camera's lens distortion compensation set to "auto" - it definitely made a noticeable correction.
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:39 PM   #12

It seems that DxO is the only third-party image editting application that uses the camera's settings as stored in the RAW file, to present the image initially. But whether it uses Sony's definition of the settings or its own isn't clear. For instance, if you select the Picture Effect of Vivid in your A65, unlike with other image editting applications, both IDC and DxO will display increased saturation and increased contrast in a RAW image, but whether they both increase the satuartion and contrast by the same amount remains to be seen.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The manual that comes with the A65 in the US, is an abbreviated version of the one the rest of the world gets. The real A65 manual is available at http://download.sony-asia.com/consum...4287948111.pdf, and the Lens Compensation is mentioned on page 164.
The brief mention on page 165 of the a65 "handbook" (complete manual) says to go to the Sony website for more information, yet I could find nothing there. The camera's firmware is supposed to contain algorithms for those lenses that it can compensate for. Where is there a list of compliant lenses?

Interestingly, the Compatibility section for the Sony 16-50 shows only the a65 and a77 (as well as the NEX cameras), while all other lenses show all the alpha dslrs.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
The brief mention on page 165 of the a65 "handbook" (complete manual) says to go to the Sony website for more information, yet I could find nothing there. The camera's firmware is supposed to contain algorithms for those lenses that it can compensate for. Where is there a list of compliant lenses?

Interestingly, the Compatibility section for the Sony 16-50 shows only the a65 and a77 (as well as the NEX cameras), while all other lenses show all the alpha dslrs.
Here is a complete accessory compatibility list, however I see one error - the list states that the A77 battery grip is compatible, which it is not.

http://www.sony.ie/support/en/produc.../compatibility
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:12 PM   #15

Thanks - I missed that. (Same list for the a77 also).

Of 136 lenses (old and new) listed, only 6 current DT lenses will work with that feature:
DT 16-50 SSM
DT 16-80 (Zeiss)
DT 16-105 SAM
DT 18-250
DT 55-200
DT 55-200 SAM
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote