Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:30 PM   #1

Default 18-55 kit lens upgrade

Hi, looking to upgrade the standard kit lens 18-55SAM on my a33. I believe this comes on a lot of the other models as well?

Right now I'm considering the 16-80 zeiss lens. The extra reach and sharpness appeals to me, obviously as an upgrade I don't want to lose out on quality.

Is there any others I should be considering?

I know there's also the 16-105 which is suppose to be a cheaper alternative to the 16-80 but I can't seem to find out how this compares with the 18-55 in terms of quality.

Currently I'm shooting with the a33, kit lens, minolta 50mm 1.7, Minolta 70-210 f4 beercan and samyang 8mm fisheye. Looking to upgrade my kit for a spot of traveling. looked into travel lenses, extra reach and convenience is great but I can't justify paying so much money for lesser quality than what I have now.
Mrderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:54 PM   #2

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is an excellent choice, rivaling the Zeiss for sharpness. And, of course, a large aperture never hurts.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:28 AM   #3

Just a thumbs-up for the 16-80CZ as a great walk around lens. Only time I take it off my a580 is if I'm doing something indoors with natural light when I switch to my 35/1.8.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:32 PM   #4

I have the A65 that came with the same 18-55 kit kens - I upgraded to the Sony 16-50 F2.8 SSM.

These first two pictures were taken with the 18-55 kit lens......

These were taken with the 16-50 SSM......

lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:18 AM   #5

The Sony 16-50/2.8 that lakensea mentioned is a very good lens on an A77 or A65. That lens is one of Sony's "automatic compensation compliant lenses" that the A77 and A65 can can compensate for its Peripheral Shading, Chromatic Aberration, and Distortion. Your A33 can't do that.

On your A33, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 has better image quality, and it's cheaper and comes with a longer warranty.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:01 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I've just pressed the button on a second-hand 1680z lens for 375. Not a bad price I don't think

the tamron was very tempting but the extra reach on the zeiss makes it my perfect travel lens.
Mrderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:49 AM   #7

That's a very nice lens. Good luck with it.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8

[QUOTE=TCav;1278272]The Sony 16-50/2.8 that lakensea mentioned is a very good lens on an A77 or A65. That lens is one of Sony's "automatic compensation compliant lenses" that the A77 and A65 can can compensate for its Peripheral Shading, Chromatic Aberration, and Distortion. Your A33 can't do that.

QUOTE]

Good point, but I wonder if it only works with RAW (does not specify in manual). I had forgotten about the lens compensation until I just saw your post. I was running some JPEG pictures I shot last night through the trial version of DXO that I am trying and the shots at 16MM were somewhat distorted before the DXO correction. I've been happy with the JPEG images so far, and I do not really have the desire or time to spend working with RAW images yet. I'll have to test it with some RAW images.

If the compensation does in fact only work with RAW, and I still decide to shoot primarily in JPEG, it may impact my next lens purchase. I've been saving for the Sony 70-200 F2.8, but may re-think towards the Sigma version.
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9

My guess is that, if anything, the compensation definitely affects JPEG images.

Sony's RAW files are generally not altered by in-camera processing (like Picture Effects, etc.) and those things don't kick in until you open them in IDC, and possibly DxO as well. Other image editting applications open RAW files the way they were recorded, not the way you may have set the camera to adjust them.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:21 PM   #10

The manual that comes with the A65 in the US, is an abbreviated version of the one the rest of the world gets. The real A65 manual is available at http://download.sony-asia.com/consum...4287948111.pdf, and the Lens Compensation is mentioned on page 164.