Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
The main difference is the maximum aperture of f1.8 - she probably only has f3.5 on her kit lens. The 1.8 lets you get a better blurred background for more 'artistic' shots and works better in low light. I find it perfect for dinner-party situations where you don't want to use flash. The 35mm is wide enough angle to fit in the person sitting opposite you if you want to. A typical portrait lens like Jim suggests requires you to be a bit further back from the subject. You get a more natural look with less distortion that way but you need a bit more room to take the photo.

A prime also means the images it produces are generally sharper than you'd get from a zoom lens because it's simpler inside.
that's a very helpful explanation. thank you. that could be an option.
princesultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:04 PM   #12

Another option is the Minolta 70-210mm f/4.0 "Beercan", which is available for about $150-$200 on the used market. It's a good range, it's good quality, they made many thousands of them so they're not very expensive, and it's a 1:4 macro lens to boot. It's maximum aperture is f/4.0, which isn't as good as f/2.8 for the 85mm SAM lens, but it's better than the f/5.6 of the 55-200.

The lens is practically a legend.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:12 PM   #13

Henry's has a Beercan for $249. You may be able to beat that on eBay, but the "Buy It Now" prices are usually inflated, and the Auctions tend to be volatile.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Henry's has a Beercan for $249. You may be able to beat that on eBay, but the "Buy It Now" prices are usually inflated, and the Auctions tend to be volatile.
thanks. i think i'd like to buy her something new however.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:47 PM   #15

so this is the lens i'm leaning towards right now. is this a good lens? if i understand correctly, this is more for zooming in to pictures taken from further distances?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_6_DT.html
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:54 PM   #16
Administrator

The Sony 55-200mm you're looking at would give you good "bang for the buck", and because it's a DT Lens (designed for cameras with APS-C size sensors) it's smaller and lighter than a lens with the same focal range made for a larger 35mm size sensor.

Again, the best lens would depend on what she wants to shoot more often. For what I shoot more often, I'd prefer something like that 85mm and use it for head shots, plays, theatre, etc.; since it's brighter than a zoom like that 55-200mm.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:36 PM   #17

The Beercan 70-210 f/4 has a constant aperture through out the entire range and has quality optics. I got mine for $120 a while back. I think it is a better lens than the 55-200mm DT lens. My other Beercan lenses are 50mm f/1.8 and 28-85mm f/3.5/4.5. All excellent lenses, a little aged, but work perfectly.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
The Beercan 70-210 f/4 has a constant aperture through out the entire range and has quality optics. I got mine for $120 a while back. I think it is a better lens than the 55-200mm DT lens. My other Beercan lenses are 50mm f/1.8 and 28-85mm f/3.5/4.5. All excellent lenses, a little aged, but work perfectly.
I thought the same as you until another Sony user and myself did some lens testing.

We compared the Minolta 70-210 /f4, Sony 55-500, 70-300G, and the 70-400G.

They are all good lenses and you would probably be happy with any of them. But in regards to comparing the 70-210 and the 55-200 the 55-200 was clearly sharper with better contrast.

My old 70-210 was a great lens as you can see in this link http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...s-beercan.html but after comparing the two I chose to sell the bigger heavier older 70-210. The 70-210 does clean up nicely with Photoshop and I did prefer the colors (probably the coatings affecting the white balance) over the 55-200 but that was about it.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:41 AM   #19

thanks guys!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:14 PM   #20

If you have not decided on your purchase yet I'll either confuse you more or help depending on how your leaning.
I shot a wedding with the Sony 55-200 on a 6mp camera.

Here's a link- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...ing-shots.html
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote