Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:06 AM   #21

I can't find the video right now but i saw it, i think on this site:
http://scotthargisphoto.wordpress.com/?s=wide

he suggests not using super-wide, instead use a medium wide so the relative sizes of room/furniture don't get exaggerated. steve, i'm sure not saying you don't know, but i wanted to get this link into this discussion (for the beginners like me as reference).
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:19 PM   #22

Some shots from my Tamron 17-50/2.8.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:41 PM   #23

Always consider that I do not know because as soon as I think I know I find out I know nothing. I find perpetual confusion to be confusing.

I am not looking for super wide at this point but something super short for cramped spaces.

I love my 17-50 Tamron TCav. It was one of your top pics for a Sony noob and I have never regretted the purchase. In the examples you provided one can see the lean at the edges of the images. Were this an Auto-Cad drawing it would be referred to as a quantising error. In your images it is no big deal and you show a good representation of the spaces. (nice choice of beers)

My last gig was an 880 sq-ft cabin on a monster property with timber resources. The buyer will most likely be someone who hunts and wants to share lease space with friends on a group buy. If one is in a 8x10 room the Tamron seems a bit long.

Here is a question. The HAR site did not want me to link to an outside source. I have never done any real paper with the realtors. How should I write any controlling documents regarding my work?
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:28 PM   #24

The lean of the edges is a result of the camera being pointed down. (I wanted to get the rug in the livingroom.) (The Yuenglings were mine. The O'Douls was my host's.)

Here are some shots without the leaning edges. It was easier in these shots because of the abundance of vertical lines.
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:53 PM   #25

I think what you need is an ultrawide zoom lens that you'll only ever use the middle of its zoom range. Typical flashes can go as wide as 24mm (16mm on an APS-C body) so you shouldn't go any wider than that.

The Sigma 10-20/3.5 has no distortion at 16mm, and little vignetting when stopped down to at least f/5.6.

The Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 is sharper, but it's got more distortion and vignetting (beyond what you'd get from a wide angle flash anyway.)

The Sigma 12-24 has little distortion and vignetting, but it's not very sharp.

The Sigma 8-16 is also a good choice at 16mm.

The Sony/Tamron 11-18 isn't very sharp and it has a lot of CA, as does the Tamron 10-24.

The Tokina 11-16 is good also.

And if you've got $1,900 to spend, there's the Sony/Zeiss 16-35/2.8.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:51 AM   #26

Sorry I have not been back sooner. I have suffered a melt down here at the house.

It is not software but seems to be multiple hardware failures. Relatively new system unit.

I seem to have suffered my first Intel motherboard failure. For some reason my old notebook running a 32 bit OS refuses to read the data back-up made on a 64 bit OS machine. Same back-up software on both machines. Somewhat curious.

Slants at the edges are more a function of camera angle? It has rained all week so there is nothing new for comparison. I am supposed to have parts in by 10:00 so should be able to try some of this in my house this afternoon for critique and comment.

Thank you to all for the suggestions and comments.

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Feb 9, 2012 at 6:27 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #27

I just ran across some interior shots taken using Sony's Sweep Panorama feature. You might want to take a look at the results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6473654009/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6241720985/

They're not great shots, or what I'd call "Architectural", but they give a good impression of the space.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:18 PM   #28

I like those shots and could see using them to give (as you put it) a good overall impression of the space. I cannot currently do panorama but JimC gave links to a number of resources to make stitching easier. I downloaded one of the better reviewed to get a feel of it prior to the melt down.

The weather has been bad so I have been lucky in that regard. I believe I lost the power supply first then most everything else followed. I have never had a Cooler Master supply fail but there is a first time for everything. I have everything I need minus the graphics adapter for the rebuild. I have something on board I can use for the short term. If Acronis will play along I should be able to shift my focus back to the images.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:19 PM   #29

Which Sony would you pick if you were to go SLT from an A-550?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:01 PM   #30

Sony fixed many of my complaints about the SLT's EVF when they introduced the A77 & A65. It's still not what I'd like to see, but if I had to go with an SLT, I'd pick one of those.