Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:47 AM   #1

Default Petition for Sony to unlock the EV Autobracketing for the A55 | SLT-A55VL | Alpha 55

I know it's sort of odd and or silly, but I'm going to start a online petition and send it to Sony about unlocking the Autobracketing exposure value for the A55. I've read other posts about it, it's totally unanimous that it's ridiculous.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...ev-bracketing/

I've been a decade long Canon man, loved the power CHDK gave even the little $100 cameras, but when I discovered HDR Canon's Autobracketing, even on their nicer camera took 3-4 seconds. My friend's Sony HX1 did it in about 1/2 a second. So I bought the HX100V and loved it, loved it so much I decided to go Sony SLR and sell all my cameras, knowing that SLR gave you all the power, I looked forward to bracketing in 10 shots or 5 shots @ +-2 or .3m whatever I wanted.

You know where this is going. When I got the camera, I am limited to 3 shots @ 0.3 and 0.7? AYFKM? I was so blown away, dumbfounded. A little $100 Canon with CHDK has more power, yeah it's slower, but with a tripod, who cares.

So my online petition is:

Sony, in your next Firmware for
A55 | SLT-A55VL | Alpha 55
UNLOCK the highly limited Exposure Value Bracketing from the unusable 3 pictures from +-0.3 or 0.7 to fully controllable;
Exposure value Anything between +- 0 and 2.0 or more
Number of Shots: 3 and 10 or more.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...ev-bracketing/

Please give it a sign up (use your junk email account) and spread the word.
Klepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:35 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepper View Post
... knowing that SLR gave you all the power, I looked forward to bracketing in 10 shots or 5 shots @ +-2 or .3m whatever I wanted.
Think again. Here's a table showing exposure bracketing for many cameras:

http://hdr-photography.com/aeb.html

Quote:
A little $100 Canon with CHDK has more power, yeah it's slower, but with a tripod, who cares.
So, use a tripod and change exposure to bracket them yourself. ;-)

Just use a non Auto mode and spin the control dial for the desired starting exposure (watching the meter dial for how much underexposed or overexposed the first exposure is) and take a burst of bracketed shots. Then, then spin the control wheel to a different exposure starting point (perhaps starting a few stops overexposed or underexposed compared to what the meter thinks is needed), take another set of bracketed shots, etc.

Or, perhaps just use single shots (instead of bursts of bracketed shots) shooting raw (since they'd give you more exposure leeway later compared to jpeg), exposing them a couple of stops apart. IOW, set exposure to 2 stops underexposed with your control wheel (perhaps using Aperture Priority and controlling exposure via shutter speed), take a shot, move the meter pointer to center, take a shot, move the meter pointer to 2 stops overexposed, take another shot. Click, spin, click, spin, click. You could probably get off several shots like that exposed two stops apart in a couple of seconds.

Then merge the photos you took using HDR software.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Keep in mind that the exposure bracketing features on cameras were really not designed for HDR photos. The bracketing features were designed to let you take a few photos at slightly different exposures in case your metering was off a little bit. Then, you'd pick the one with the best exposure later as your [single] "keeper".

Now that HDR software is popular, users are wanting more shots taken at exposures that are further apart, merging them later in software into a single image with more dynamic range.

So, we're seeing more manufacturers offering in camera HDR features now, too.

For example, the A55 offers an Auto HDR feature that takes 3 photos rapidly and merges them together in camera. You can either let the camera decide how much the darkest and lightest photos are apart based on the scene you're shooting (or you can set it manually for up to a 6EV difference between the exposure for the darkest and lightest photo, which should be plenty for most anything you'd want to shoot).

But, the standard Exposure Bracketing feature was not designed with merging photos in mind. If you want to do that kind of thing yourself using software, just bracket the exposure manually using a tripod, as mentioned in my previous post.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:08 PM   #4

People have been complaining about this very thing for quite some time (See alfa A100 and bracket -2/0/+2 Ev continous from January 2009.) and those complaints have always fallen on deaf ears, except as regards the Pro and Semipro models.

But good luck to you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:05 PM   #5

I know that I'm new to all of this, but what I got out of the original post was that he bought a camera without looking at the specs and now wants the manufacturer to modify it for him? Seems odd to me since I spent about 30 straight days going through the specs on my SLR before finally making the purchase. Best of luck!
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:31 AM   #6

IMO, by the time Sony does something about it (if they'll ever do), the A55 will be obsolete. Don't hold your breath. If this is a feature you can't live without, look for a different camera keeping this feature at the very top of your priority list.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:15 AM   #7

I think Sony thought it would receive accolades for it's AutoHDR feature, so people didn't have to do their own HDR. So they didn't worry about the complaints about the narrow bracketing on the entry level products. I think that, if they're aware of it at all, they don't understand why the complaints are still coming in. I think they think they're from people that are still learning to use their cameras, and when they stumble on the AutoHDR feature, they'll stop complaining.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote