Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:51 PM   #1

Default Recent Macro with A77

Having use of the A77 for a couple of days I was asked to test 2 Sigma 150mm Macro lenses. It was a very nice and fun to use setup.
Both lenses tested where very sharp for macro use although one seemed sharper at infinity focus at f/2.8. Overall, both where acceptable.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Mar 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:09 AM   #2

I also use the Sigma 105mm macro on my A77 and have no complaints at all.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Hello all, I am giving some thought to Macro but the only lens I have (Macro) at the moment is the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

I have some nice lens but am lacking in the Macro dept.
Any suggestions for mainly flowers and insects.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4

The Sigma 105mm macro is a nice lens. Many like the Tamron 90.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5

The 28-75 has very good minimum focus distance but it's not really a macro. You could probably get decent results with a set of extension tubes out at the 75mm end. I like that lens and use the Minolta version for a close portrait lens on my FF body.

Of the macro lens's that I have used the lens I liked the best was the Tamron 180 until I used the new Sigma 150. It is as good or better then the Tamron but they have to be used on a tripod to get the great results. The Sigma focus ring is the best I have ever used and the build quality is second to none.

The Sony or KM 100 macro is probably the most practical or for the Tamron 90 from a price to performance point. Plus they can be used for a long portrait lens.

The Sony and KM 100s that I have used show some moderate CA while the new Sigma's that I tested had very little to no CA.

I also have a Sony 50 f/2.8 macro that I use for product shots. Mostly to shoot jewelry. The 50 macro is very easy to use for flowers too and you don't need a tripod to get good results.

Similar to using a 28-75 for a macro lens, I was talking to another photographer recently who had been published with his Wildflowers of Southern California book and he did not even use a macro lens at all. Instead he uses a 400mm lens at minimum focus.

I have used the Tamron 200-500mm with a 1.4 TC and had some good results. The A77 would have been great with that combo.
Here's an example, A700 Tamron 200-500 with a 1.4 TC near minimum focus distance.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote