Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 18, 2012, 8:17 PM   #1

Default FF APS-C same FOV

I was reading about the differences between FF and APS-C today and could not believe the differences of opinions. There's a lot of discussion about the differences, way more then needs to be. It makes you wonder do these people actually use cameras of just argue all day about things that really don't make that big os a difference?

Well here's my highly scientific test to see the difference.
Parameters, compose shots to make them look as close to the same as possible while shooting from the same spot different focal lengths. Same settings on each camera.
In pp i adjusted WB to be the same, added 10% raw sharpening to a55 file to match the a900 file. The download curve within aperture set the a55 file at 50% sharpen and the a900 to 60% sharpen. I don't know why aperture did that, I just made them the same.

1.FF

2.APS-C

Another thing I cant explain is the difference in shutter speed. I had the metering the same on both and the a55 over exposed about a 1/2 a stop.

I was expecting to see the FF be a little more OOF at the edges.

I don't see much difference.

Next I'll try shooting with the same focal length and compose the same (move)

Last edited by lomitamike; May 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2012, 8:46 PM   #2

Part 2.
The same focal length and same composition (move feet).
I set the a55 to -0.7 ev to expose the same as the a900.

1. APS-C

2. FF

Now there is a clear difference.

Last edited by lomitamike; May 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3

Unless I'm mistaken, the first was taken with the Minolta 28mm f/2.0. That's a very nice lens.

As for the difference in shutter speed between the two shots, dSLRs always round the exposure to the nearest 1/3 EV. The difference between 1/250 and 1/320 is 1/3 EV. There may have been very slightly more light in the first shot, so the shutter speed was set a little faster than on the second shot which might have had a small cloud in front of the Sun, of some other difference, and thus, slightly less light, so it used a shutter speed that was a little slower. This happens all the time. Sometimes you'll even see it in sequential shots captured in the same burst.

A 28mm lens on a FF body would actually have a slightly more narrow angle of view than an 18mm lens on an APS-C body, yet your images seem to have the opposite difference. I suspect that's a result of a very slight difference in your position.

In the third and fourth shots, the grill seems to occupy the same portion of the images, but the difference in the backgrounds is subtle but visible.

Nice experiment.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote