Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:45 PM   #11

TCav, you are right in your thinking. I've settled on the tamron 17-50 but was just mentioning I can't afford a $1000 lens on top of that.

But the 100-400 APO that you recommend, that "might" be doable.

I just got back from playing with the sony 16-50/2.8 mounted on an a77. What a sweet setup. I know I'm going to love the Tamron...and now I really want the a77, someday.It'd be nice to have a 2nd body to have 2 different lenses readily available! I wish the a77 was full frame, but of course still at its same price point.

btw, I like your signature points TCav.

Oh, one more thing. why did you recommend I not use a filter. Is it for the type of shooting I'll be doing?
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstascent View Post
Oh, one more thing. why did you recommend I not use a filter. Is it for the type of shooting I'll be doing?
Even good filters can degrade image quality somewhat, especially on very wide angles of view.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:55 PM   #13

For a trip like you are planning, you can rent high quality lenses at www.lensrental.com.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:37 PM   #14

Outhouse, thanks! I originally wasn't going to plan on renting anything but if I can rent here in oregon and sent it back when I'm in Alaska then that could work well. Seems like it just simple shipping back and forth.

I will look into that
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:26 PM   #15

The Sony 70-400 is a great lens to rent, but for 30 days, it will cost $253.75. You might as well buy the 100-400 APO from KEH.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstascent View Post
Outhouse, thanks! I originally wasn't going to plan on renting anything but if I can rent here in oregon and sent it back when I'm in Alaska then that could work well. Seems like it just simple shipping back and forth.

I will look into that

I'm a big fan of Lens Rental. They are based in Memphis, my home town and I've met the owner and he is a cool guy. If you look at the lenses on his site, you will find reviews of the various lens options that validate much of what TCav has offered. Check out the Tamron 200-500as well.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:35 PM   #17

Good point TCav, at that price I might as well buy the 100-400 APO and have it, well, forever!

Update, I was looking at amazon at memory cards etc and realized I still had a $300 credit just waiting to be used! How did I forget about that?!?!
I ended up getting the a77 with the 16-50/2.8, which is actually not a bad deal when purchased in a kit, save about $200 over buying them separately. Which is the only reason I decided to do it over the tamron 17-50

For the trip it will really be nice having 2 full setups with different lenses ready to go. As fun as it is though I currently am not finding myself in positions where I'd be carrying around 2 cameras. So once I arrive in AK I may just end up selling the a700 we'll see when the time comes.

Now I need a tripod and that 100-400 APO and I'll be good to go as far as photog equip goes
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:18 AM   #18

That sounds good.

Be sure to post some photos.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:27 AM   #19

You will want to stop in Moricetown, 30km west of Smithers, to watch the first nations people fishing in the canyon with long poles. Should be salmon migrating back up river when you come through.

Get Hyderized....

And if its' still there, check out the Bitter Creek Cafe...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robindu...57594067776711

Go past Fish Creek and up to the Salmon Glacier...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjnvF...eature=related

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:00 PM   #20

Thanks NewsyL, I'll put that on my list! I need to start from Portland, OR, mile 1, and figure each and every stop I'll be taking. I'll be starting a new job July 30th so need to be up there by then. So far I'm planning on leaving around July 14th or 15th and possibly arrive around July 24th or 25th.