Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:04 PM   #21

any other items equipment you can think of that I may be forgetting that I'd want/need?

I'm good on memory cards, I already have the vertical grip and am going to order an extra battery so I should be good there. and I'll be able to charge the batteries along the way too.

I still need a tripod/head. I currently don't even own a cheap one so I really need one. Let me get your thoughts on this... The winters get cold (can get down to -50) so I definitely want a good carbon tripod. I'd like to get the Gitzo 3541 but it's about $750 and I won't be able to afford that before the trip. So I'm thinking to buy at least a good head (maybe the kirk bh-3 ballhead which was recommended by another alaskan photographer) and a Cheap tripod to at least get me through the trip so I have at least something. Then once I get more settled in I can get the tripod. With that in mind, any ideas on a decent but cheap tripod?
Or it may be much cheaper to just borrow my fathers and ship it back to him??

Thanks
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:49 PM   #22

Any chance you cound get by with a car mount or GorillaPod until you could get the Carbon Fiber tripod?

Otherwise, there are (relatively) inexpensive carbon fiber and basalt tripods that might do until you get your dream unit.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:35 PM   #23

good idea. I was actually at a local photo shop earlier today looking at some nice ballheads by acratech. I was going to get one big figured I'd just wait since I really don't have use for it without a nice tripod. So i'll just get them both later on when I'm up there.

So for the trip, to keep costs down, I'll look for an option as you mentioned. I was just getting too excited with new stuff then realized how much everything is costing

Besides, for pulling over and snapping some shots I can get by with a cheaper tripod of some sort.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:07 AM   #24

Well, I officially leave this Saturday, excited for what the road will bring.

I was gonna pull the trigger on the APO lens TCav suggested but it looks like it was already sold. Darn. That's what I get for waiting. I ended up renting the Sony 70-400G lens for 2 weeks, I'll pick it up tomorrow. So at least I'll have a good wildlife lens for < $150, although that could have been a good portion towards the APO lens

To keep costs down I decided to just borrow my fathers tripod and will ship it back to him when I'm up there.

So for the main setup I think I'll start with the 16-50/2.8 on the a77 and will put the 70-400G on the a700. That should cover most my bases minus the 50-70mm range which can easily be covered by walking.

I appreciate all the comments and help figuring all this out!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:17 AM   #25

Good luck!

And post some photos.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:24 PM   #26

So..... how did the trip go?

Any shots you can share from your travels?
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 PM   #27

Hey! Thanks for asking. The trip was amazing and I can't wait to make the drive again some day. I took 11 days total. But the first 3 days I stayed in Vancouver, BC for mountain biking, rock climbing and snowboarding. It was quite the start of a trip!

Here are a few pics from my trip...

somewhere?

I loved my camping spot here! Smithers, BC

Bear Glacier - Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK

Somewhere near Bell II on the Cassiar Hwy.
Btw, this is the view from my tent
Bob Quin Lake I believe

Somewhere near the St. Elias mountains

driving into the sunset around midnight

Last edited by firstascent; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:45 PM   #28

Welcome to AK!!!

Hiking in Denali National Park

a bear I saw while driving in Canada near Whistler

Mountain biking in Healy, AK

This pic is actually only about a month old, but it's still fun to look at. I finally got to see the Aurora Borealis right outside my front door, it was incredible!!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:06 PM   #29

Sweet shots! Glad to hear it turned out well for you.

I recognized the Bear Glacier and Smither's (Hudson Bay Mountain) shots immediately. Bear Glacier and its lake were the backdrop for the movie "Insomnia" starring Robin Williams, Al Pacino, and Hilary Swank - a movie about a shady cop from Los Angeles who can't sleep due in part to the lateness of summer sunset in the north. I miss the northern lights - just can't see them here in the city.

Last edited by NewsyL; Dec 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:41 PM   #30

Very nice shots with the A77/16-50!

The one shot taken with the A700/70-400, the one of the bear, doesn't seem to have turned out very well. Do you have any more from that combo?

Also, the shot from the Panasonic ZS5, the one of the bicyclist, is also very nice, but it seems a little cool (color temperature-wise.)