Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:34 PM   #1

Default Sony a330 No lens attached. Shutter is locked.

Yesterday my a330 worked fine. Today it gives an error message: no lens attached; shutter is locked. I've looked at the instruction manual and tried changing from 'auto' to 'M' as it suggested; with that change, the shutter opened but didn't close. (It also makes a bit of a whirring noise while it's open.) To get the shutter to close, I have to power off. I get the error message with the original Sony lens as well as a Sony telephoto/macro. Any thoughts on what's wrong? Thanks.
Kate9799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:47 PM   #2
Administrator

Hey Kate, Welcome to Steve's (as I see this is your first post here).

Try turning Stabilization off and see if that makes any difference, in case the stabilization system has failed.

I'd also check the screws in the camera's lens mount to make sure they're tight. You should see a few screws around the lens mount when you look at it without any lens on the camera), as I've seen cases where they've come loose before, so that the electrical contacts between the camera and lens were not making a good enough connection due to play in the mount. IOW, make sure they're tight.

How about your battery? Are you sure it's fully charged? Have you got another one you can try in it? Sometimes voltage problems can cause odd issues, and batteries tend to degrade over time (expect to replace a battery every 2 or 3 years).

I'd also reset the camera to factory defaults, just in case a setting in causing a problem.

You'll find a "Reset Default" choice in the Setup menus, as shown in the last section on this page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...s-menus-3.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:52 PM   #3
Administrator

BTW, you posted this in the Sony Forum we have setup for Sony Point and Shoot Models in our Point and Shoot Camera Section.

We have a separate Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT Forum that's setup for dSLR models like your Sony A330. So, I'll move this thread there now so that more Sony dSLR users may notice it and make suggestions to help you figure out what's causing the issue you're seeing.

But, it sounds like your problem is likely electrical in nature (not getting a good enough connection between the camera and lens due to dirty electrical contacts or a poor connection, or voltage issues, since you've already tried using more than one lens with it), In any event, I'd try the steps mentioned above for starters (make sure the lens mount screws on the camera are not loose, make sure the battery is fully charged, reset the Camera settings to Factory Defaults, see if the same symptoms occur with Stabilization turned off)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:14 PM   #4

Hi. Thanks for the speedy reply (and for moving my question to where it should have been posted).

I have tried turning off stabilization, resetting defaults, and tightening screws (which didn't budge), none of which solved the problem. The battery is a little low but not completely discharged. I'm charging it now and hope that does the trick. The battery is original to the camera and is indeed several years old. If it's simply that my battery is dying, that will be easy enough to take care of. Thanks for the advice.

Kate
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:50 PM   #5

Any other ideas? I got a new battery but I'm still getting the error message.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:11 PM   #6

To be clear, you're getting the same error with both of the lenses you've got?

JOOC, what does the camera say the date and time are? If they're correct, take out the battery, leave it out for about an hour, put it back in, and check the date and time.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:28 PM   #7

Yes, the same error message regardless of the lens that's attached.

There was no battery in my camera for several hours today while I charged the new one. I didn't check the time and date before that, but currently the time and date are slightly incorrect. 2012 9 15 4:56 pm. The time is really 5:27 pm. Is that significant and should I set to the correct time before removing the battery? (I'm not sure what this is testing for.) Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:28 PM   #8

Oops, I'm mistaken. That was a time stamp on a photograph. The time is actually correct.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:52 PM   #9

There is a small, non-removeable, rechargeable battery in the camera that preserves settings while the removeable battery is removed. Some of what you're describing could be attributable to that battery failing. But it sounds like yours is doing ok.

is there a good camera shop in your vicinity?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:51 PM   #10

Well, I did an internet search and there's one local place that does camera repair -- and it has three one-star ratings. Doesn't sound good!