Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:23 AM   #1

Default SLTs and the use of a polarizing filter.

I just had my first experience using both together yesterday. It seemed like the A55 viewfinder was not giving me accurate information when using the EVF while the circular polarizer was attached to the lens.

I would spin the filter do maximize the effect but would have a lot of difficulty finding the sweet spot as compared to using a OVF.

I was starting to question the polarizer I just spent a lot of money on, until I put the same lens with the polarizer on a camera with an OVF and it worked fine.

If this is a common occurrence with an SLT then it's another knock against it.

Has anyone else experienced this?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:03 PM   #2

G'day Mike

2 things here mate -
I have found for a number of years that the EVF is too smart for its own good ~ as the pola filter darkens the VF, the electronics lightens it up again to 'normal' so making it appear -not- to be working

and
with superzoom cameras, I can use both the std & the circular pola filters equally okay > as I understand it, the CPL is needed for the focussing systems of regular SLRs

I have overcome my EVF very simply by running some tape around the filter with a letter each 10mm.
In use I rotate the filter by hand till I see the effect I'm after, note the alpha-letter at top-dead-centre, attach the filter to the lens & dial that letter, and shoot away
It takes no longer than doing it the 'usual' way, & I can get the better of the otherwise very smart EVF !!!

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:21 PM   #3

Good idea Phil,

You outsmarted your camera. I shall look into giving this a try, I bought a slim CPL so there's not much room for marking the sides but you have very a clever idea.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:37 PM   #4

The effectiveness of a polarizer depends in large degree on the angle of the sun to the lens, and the effect will change as the angle changes - from none to extreme. As was mentioned, a polarizer on an slt (or any evf camera) is of limited use judging darkening of the sky - as you spin the filter the effect appears momentarily, but the EVF gains up rapidly to eliminate much of the effect, but there is still a color change of varying degree. The polarizer is still as effective as on dslr's with regard to eliminating reflections - try it at an angle on any mirror - so it eliminated reflections on surfaces of water, glass, rocks, flowers, leaves and other shiny surfaces, thus it is effective in garden (including the fish pond) and landscape photography, again dependent on the angle of the sun (or other source), so don't give up on it completely - it has its uses .
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:03 PM   #5
NHL

When I shot with the A1 and eventually the A2 (which I still have) you can put the camera on manual. The viewfinder will give you 'What You See Is What You Get' without changing its gain.

Also the live histogram will change with a polarizer... Some thing you don't get with an OVF!