Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:30 PM   #1

Default Lens mode?

I just purchased a wide angle lens and a telephoto lens, but I do not know how to set my camera to full wide angle/telephoto mode. Please help! I've been at this all morning. I have the Sony A55. Thanks!
beedaK25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:50 PM   #2

The camera doesn't care.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:52 PM   #3

... or rather, the camera gets what it needs straight from the lens. When you change lenses, you don't need to change anything else.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:58 PM   #4

Is it possible that you're talking about mounting Conversion Lenses onto the lens that's already mounted on your A55? That's the way you would typically change the angle of view of a P&S camera. Your A55 is an interchangeable lens camera, so instead of mounting conversion lenses onto your kit lens, you'd switch the kit 18-55mm lens with a 55-200mm lens to get a narrower angle of view, or an 11-18mm lens for a wider angle of view.

Conversion lenses will work, though not as well, but the A55 doesn't have special settings for conversion lenses the way that P&S cameras do.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Yes, they are conversion lenses. In the instructions that came with each there was a note that said "For optimum performance when using wide angle lenses, set your camera to full wide angle mode to avoid vingetting." and "For optimum performance when using telephoto lenses, set your camera to full telephoto mode to avoid tunnel effect." Sooo.. did I just waste my money?? Because all I see now when I look through my camera is an ugly black circle framing my pictures.
beedaK25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:29 AM   #6

Conversion lenses are for cameras that can't change their lenses. If you can return them, I suggest you do so.