Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #1

Default New Sony A230 user...please advise

Hello everyone,

I have taken the plunge into the DSLR world having been using compact cameras for the past 15 years. I am really excited about taking my first pictures and then progressing from being a novice user.

I bought a Sony DSLR-A230 from an auction few days ago. Big risk I know. All it came with was the camera body, usb cable, strap and software disk. I purchased a battery and charger from Amazon and charger the battery up. I put it in the camera and phew it works. I don't have a SD card which it keeps asking me for and the main thing I dont have is a lens.

Is there anything else I have missed out?

- I would like some things to keep my camera in good condition and clean.
- What SD cards would someone recommend?
- Any books I could read to give me a basic understanding and knowledge, I have seen the following so far: Sony A230, A330 & A380: The Expanded Guide
- Finally, the lens. I know I need an A-mount one. The kind of pictures I want to take for starters are of my dogs, portraits and just general pics. I've read the Sony 55-200mm DT SAM is a good all-rounder.

Sorry for going on but i do not want to be ripped off by sellers because of my lack of knowledge.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
Maxnmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxnmissy View Post
Hello everyone,

I have taken the plunge into the DSLR world having been using compact cameras for the past 15 years. I am really excited about taking my first pictures and then progressing from being a novice user.

I bought a Sony DSLR-A230 from an auction few days ago. Big risk I know. All it came with was the camera body, usb cable, strap and software disk. I purchased a battery and charger from Amazon and charger the battery up. I put it in the camera and phew it works. I don't have a SD card which it keeps asking me for and the main thing I dont have is a lens.

Is there anything else I have missed out?

- I would like some things to keep my camera in good condition and clean.
- What SD cards would someone recommend?
- Any books I could read to give me a basic understanding and knowledge, I have seen the following so far: Sony A230, A330 & A380: The Expanded Guide
- Finally, the lens. I know I need an A-mount one. The kind of pictures I want to take for starters are of my dogs, portraits and just general pics. I've read the Sony 55-200mm DT SAM is a good all-rounder.

Sorry for going on but i do not want to be ripped off by sellers because of my lack of knowledge.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

After one summer of using a compact I had enough, and got my first Sony DSLR body a couple of days ago. I paid about $70 for mine with shipping. It's virtually brand new cosmetically, despite it's age. I was on an extreme budget, and a little desperate since I don't actually have a single working camera outside of a broken compact. Got my 28-70 lens on the way for a few bucks. If I had more money or time to look around I probably would have gotten a Canon 400d, or maybe a Pentax k200d or K2000. The only other Sony I'd consider is the A33. I'll probably get one of those after I sell this one for more money.

You should read the manual first, then go on youtube and check out the various photography tutorials they have on there. As for the lens, Minolta has a bunch of nice ones that are fairly cheap. The SD card can be just about any brand; just purchase it from an actual online retailer and not from someone on ebay.

Last edited by Krichton; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3

Thanks for your feedback. Oooo I missed that out...didn't come with a manual. Though I have just downloaded a pdf one but I can't really do much without an SD card or lens. I am going to buy the SD card off Amazon. Only reason why I asked about the SD card was because I read somewhere where an a230 users first shot was always black after turning the camera on. Someone suggested getting a better SD card as it might be the speed of the card.

Im sorry if I sound fussy or nit-picking but hubby has left me to it and thinks I've wasted my money.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:05 PM   #4

Usually, the black picture is the result of a stuck mirror or something internal. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the sd card. A 16gb one on newegg should cost no more than $10 or so. I'm stuck using ancient compact flash on my sony. Anyway, you should have alot of fun with this camera.

Here are a list of compatible sony AF lenses. Check out the forum pictures from various lenses as well. Maybe you can get one of the lower end ones for 99 cents on ebay or something

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:41 PM   #5

Ok that clears up the SD card issue then.

Oh and I did not buy the camera from Ebay. I won it at a Auction house. I always wanted one and went with my gut instinct after I saw it. Hubby just stood there nodding his head lol. I have always wanted to take really nice pics of the family and pets and transfer them to canvas.

In the last 24hours I have been constantly on ebay looking at lenses and then researching them. I don't mind paying upto 100 for a lense which I could work with for quite a while until i can upgrade. Just a case of which lens that is.