Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1

Default Alpha 330 looses date/time

I had not used my A330 in about 6 months. When I put the battery in and turned it on, it said "Do You Want To Set Date?" I chose "Yes" and proceeded to set the date and time. After the 'shoot', I shut off the camera and removed the battery, as USUAL! The next day, when I put the battery in and turned the camera on, it again asked if I wanted to set the date. I didn't have time right then so I went ahead and shot around 100 pictures. When I loaded my pix from the card, they all had Jan 1, 2009 as the date.

What gives? Like I said, I always pull the battery and this has never happened before. Is there a 'memory' battery some where. Obviously, something needs to 'remember' the date & time. In the past, the camera has set without a battery for 8 or 9 months and the date and time have always been correct.

Any Ideas? I've searched the owners manual and it doesn't say anything about my problem. I'd rather not have to set the date every time I want to use the camera.

Thanks,
Bigmo
Bigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:02 AM   #2

Your Sony A330, along with most other cameras, has an internal, non-removable battery that keeps the date/time and some other settings while the camera is turned off and the battery is removed. Since you inserted the battery, set the date/time, used the camera, and then removed the battery, it is very likely that the internal battery had drained, and didn't have sufficient time to charge itself off the removable battery.

There is no gauge for the internal battery, so there's no way to know for sure, but I suggest you leave a fully charged battery installed for a few days to get the internal battery fully charged. If that doesn't do the trick, it's possible that your practice of always removing the battery when the camera is not in use, has fully drained the internal battery such that it can no longer be recharged, and needs to be replaced.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Thank you; Can this internal battery be replaced? How? etc.?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
Thank you; Can this internal battery be replaced? How? etc.?
Not by the user. You would need to send it in to Sony or some other service depot for that.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Leave the removable battery in for a week or so, and see if that solves the problem.

Never leaving the removable battery in while the camera was idle, might have hastened this problem, but the internal battery failing after 3-4 years is not surprising.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:19 PM   #6

Thanks again!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
After the 'shoot', I shut off the camera and removed the battery, as USUAL! Bigmo
Just out of curiosity, why do you remove the battery each time?
gopiqpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:16 AM   #8
Administrator

A lot of cameras use an internal capacitor to keep the clock working while the main battery is removed for charging; and some cameras use an internal battery for that purpose instead. I don't know which category the A330 falls into.

Either way, the longer you have the main battery removed, the more likely you're going to need to reset your clock. So, it's best to leave the main battery inside of the camera except for overnight recharging.

The cost of repairing one (replacement of internal battery or capacitor) is probably not worth it. If it fails to keep the time while the main battery is removed temporarily for charging, it's probably easier just to reset the clock and settings each time versus the expense of repairing it. IOW, I wouldn't worry about fixing it if it were my camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote