Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Default Slt = e + la-ea2

With the new A3000 coming out, many people feel that Sony is changing direction and dropping A-mount. The A3000 is an NEX in an SLR package, with E-mount. Many other people think that there will more A-mount cameras, probably mirrorless, but then there is a worry if it will be with pdaf and if we continue to enjoy things like continue AF during video.

The adapter allows you to use A-mount lenses on E-mount cameras. It introduces the translucent mirror and provides pdaf. It also have a screw motor to power legacy lenses' focusing gears.
Apparently, it works pretty much the same as a true SLT, except you lose stabilization.

What is everyone else's take on all of this? Would you be willing to switch from A-mount to E-mount and use an adapter to use your current lenses?
Mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2

I believe that the SLT technology is a bridge to mirror-less. It's just a matter of figuring out how to have a fast AF without a mirror.
With the amount of A-mount lenses and the recently introduced A-mount lenses I don't believe they will be dropping the A-mount anytime in the foreseeable future.
Just my guess.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:55 PM   #3

The 70D seems to handle pretty good focusing with on-chip pdaf. That system exactly like that is probably patented. Very curious what Sony will come up with. I hope you're right about the A-mount commitment. There haven't been many A-mount lenses from Sony lately though. It's all been E-mount pretty much. Like since 2012 there was like what, 1 lens in A-mount from Sony?

But what about slapping that adapter on an NEX / A3000 ? If that's what things are going to come down to, can we live without stabilization. Does stabilization accomplish a heck of whole lot though, reliably? Isn't it a bit of a crap-shoot? What I do in less than ideal exposures, is burst away a bunch of shots, so that at least a couple end up turning out ok.
I wonder if that would become much less successful on, say, an A3000 + adapter + A-mount lens.
Mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:38 PM   #4

The A3000 is an inexpensive NEX with an eye-level viewfinder, and a body that is reminiscent of an SLR. But so are the H200 and HX300 reminiscent of an SLR. It's a case of form follows function.

Sony put PDAF sensors in the sensor of the NEX-6. If that works out alright, there's no reason to think that Sony will keep the "Translucent" mirror around. So, yes, Sony "dSLRs" as we know them, may be in for a major change.

But I really don't think that someone is going to buy a $400 A3000 so they can add a $350 LA-EA2 for A-Mount and a PDAF system, when they could save $150 by getting an A58 that already has all those things plus SSS. Plus A-Mount lenses are better and cheaper than corresponding E-Mount lenses. Plus there are more A-Mount lenses to choose from.

I really don't think the A-Mount is going anywhere. After all, Sony recently announced the new Sony/Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 and the new SAL70400G2 replacement for the very successful Sony 70-400 'G'. They wouldn't waste their money developing expensive new lenses if they were going to abandon the product line.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:34 PM   #5
NHL

I agree with everyone here as I don't think the A-mount would go away...

However as a for profit company Sony has to maximize their revenue with the E because that's where the money is: You can notice this in the Nikon 1 and Canon M system where Sony is eating their lunches
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42576530

Personally I'm waiting for a new A-body to upgrade to even though I shoot with some of the latest Nikon and Canon's. People should really try to look in the viewfinder of the A900 in a dark studio and see how bright it is when compared to a D800 for example which I use all the time.
The A900's AF is also very hard to beat in the dark! Last week in some of the shot I got so frustrated with my D800's AF that I had to switch to the older Sony to achieve the same shot!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:58 PM   #6

The A3000 seems an odd camera... aimed at the entry level user (apparently) yet uses the NEX mount,with more expensive (and fewer) lenses..!!
And even for those looking for a smaller camera,it's hardly much smaller than an A37/57/58...and it's not really cheaper...!
A bit of an oddball if you ask me...!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:50 PM   #7

The NEX product line has been selling well in Asia and Europe. I think the A3000 was developed to broaden its appeal.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote