Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:40 PM   #1

Default Sample pictures taken with the Sony A58

Here is a series of pictures taken with the DT18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM II kit lens.
Attached Images

Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.

Last edited by WCKSer; Nov 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:53 PM   #2

Default Pictures taken with the Minolta AF Zoom 70-210mm f/4.6-5.6

I like this lens a lot which I only paid $40 for it. It is very sharp and the has good color.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:14 PM   #3
Administrator

FYI:

It looks like our forums software recompressed your images and stripped out the EXIF info.

We have a hard limit set for resolution and file sizes for images attached to posts here.

Basically, if the resolution of an image exceeds 1024 bytes on the longest side, *or* the file size exceeds 253KB, then libraries we have working will automatically resize and/or recompress images so that they are within those parameters.

We do that for multiple reasons. One is to save storage space on our servers, and the other is to make sure viewers can see the images on typical displays without scrolling (as the average monitor resolution is still around 1024x768 anymore, even though many of us have higher resolution displays), without causing excessive load times and bandwidth usage for the forum members that don't have broadband connections with unlimited bandwidth (as many users still have accounts that are limited as to monthly bandwidth allowed without paying extra). IOW, not everything has fast connections with unlimited bandwidth. ;-)

At the same time photos are resized and/or recompressed to stay within our set limits, the forum libraries will strip out any EXIF information in the original images; and I think you'll find that the compression algorithms being used are not the best around either.

So, it's best to make sure images embedded in forum posta are no larger than 253KB for file size, and have dimensions that are no longer than 1024 bytes on the longest side to make sure they are not resized and/or recompressed with their EXIF info stripped out.

Usually, around 80% JPEG quality when downsizing your images (or around 8 if using editing software that has a 1 to 10, or 1 to 12 scale for quality) is a good bet for keeping the file size within the limits we allow here for attaching photos, provided the image dimensions are within limits (resized so that they're no larger than 1024 bytes on the longest side). That way, your photos won't be compressed again by our forums software with the EXIF info stripped out. So, I'd make sure you resize your images so that they are within those parameters (adjusting image size and jpeg quality settings in the editor you use for resizing so that images are within the 253KB file size limit and have a longest side of 1024 pixels or lower).

As an alternative, you can just link to photos on a web site elsewhere (photo sharing site, etc.). Many of the "cloud" based storage photos are great for that purpose.

So, you may also want to consider just using a host elsewhere so that the file size limits don't apply (although we'd still prefer that images are not too large, as not everyone has a broadband connection with unlimited bandwidth). For example, a very easy way to do that is a free dropbox.com account. Just go here and download their software and install it:

http://www.dropbox.com

It will create new dropbox folders on your PC. Then, if you want someone else to see an image, just copy it to your dropbox/public folder and it will sync it to the same folders on their servers.

You get 2GB of storage for free and can put any kind of files (raw files, docs, spreadsheets, programs, jpeg files, etc.), in your dropbox folders. That way, you can post or e-mail links to *any* file you want to copy to your dropbox folders.

But for embedding an image in a post here, just "right click" on a jpeg image you want to embed in a forum post using your file manager (windows explorer, etc.) and select the Dropbox>Get Public URL choice that you'll see after you install it to get a link the image.

Then, you can embed the image in a forum post by using the embed image icon you'll see in the forums editor toolbar for that purpose, pasting the dropbox link in it.

Or, you can do that manually by placing [img] in front to the link in a post, and [/img] after the link in a post (which is the same thing that embed image icon does for you). For example, just do this in a post, pasting the public link to an image where I've got the words public link to your image.

[img]public link to your image[/img]

That way, your images will not be modified by our forums software if they don't fall within the allowed limits for file size (no larger than 253KB) or resolution (no larger than 1024 bytes on their longest side).

Many other cloud based storage products allow you to do the same the same thing (Wuala, Google Drive, Microsoft SkyDrive, etc. etc. etc.).

Personally, I prefer Dropbox (especially since it's cross platform and works with OS X, Linux, Windows and mobile devices running IOS or Android and only takes a minute or two for installation and setup). But, there are other alternatives that offer some amount of free storage, too.

Basically, your photos probably exceeded the maximum file size allowed. So, the forums software automatically compressed them again to make the file sizes smaller, stripping out the EXIF information at the same time.

So, unless you want your images to be compressed again, I'd just make sure either compress them using a JPEG quality setting that keeps them 253KB or smaller to start with when downsizing them for web use; or host them on another web site versus uploading them to our servers. That way, the EXIF information will remain intact with no extra recompression of the images taking place.

But again, we'd still prefer members use a more conservative file size (even if the images are hosted elsewhere), as many of our members have metered accounts for internet access (especially tablet or mobile phone users) that costs them more money if they exceed their monthly bandwidth allowance; and/or have slower connection speeds. So, larger file sizes can cause problems for many users, especially if they're trying to view a forum thread with a lot of images embedded.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:27 PM   #4

Thanks, Jim! I will look into that.