Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:45 PM   #1

Default product shots

The girls games are all fun and games. Product shots might actually be a job now that I am all gimped up.

What would you choose for a product photography camera? Would you buy full frame? How about medium format? A Leaf back for dad's old 645 is reasonable these days.

Here is a shot with my A550 Documenting what was supposed to be a match grade crown job. The second shot is a custom reamer job on a barrel throat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Mar 10, 2014 at 2:01 AM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:41 AM   #2

I would get a macro lens for your A550, and I'd make it one that had as long a focal length as possible so that you could back up to increase both the subject distance and the depth of field. Going with a larger format camera will only make that more difficult.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:10 AM   #3

The camera you will need depends on the output you need. For most of my work, I've been using Canon G-series cameras with great success for many years. They work well for photos that are going to be shared via the web. When hi-res is needed, I use my 50D or OM-D.

TCav's recommendation is spot on. You already have all the camera you need. Get a good lens and some good lighting. A good, solid tripod helps too.

Sorry to hear about your barrel issues. I'm fortunate to live close to a well known shop for those types of services.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:06 PM   #4

As always TCav, I thank you for your input.

I should back up a bit and use a longer lens?

I have macro lenses but seem to be using the wrong one. I have a 50mm Minolta, 90mm Tamron, and my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO lens is marked "macro HSM". I have other Minolta lenses of varying length.

Use the longer lens and back up a bit while still filling the frame? 200mm at five feet would definitely fill the frame.

I am with you billy in one can never go wrong listening to TCav. It might not be the advice I want to hear but always the best advice. Funny you comment I have all the camera I need as I was rereading your review of the Sony A550. It is more camera than I am photographer. Mint condition used at less than $300.00 I figure to buy one just for the spare.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Sorry to hear about your barrel issues. I'm fortunate to live close to a well known shop for those types of services.
The tight shot was my taking a cheap shot at Lothar/Walther as they were the barrel supplier for that particular gun.

Custom parts are always "some assembly required" but that one sucked to epic proportion.

I thought my capture of the detail made for an excellent photo
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:39 PM   #6

At it's minimum focus distance, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 "macro" lens has a magnification ratio of 1:3.5, while both your Minolta 50/2.8 and Tamron 90/2.8 have magnification ratios of 1:1. Thus, your MACRO primes would work better than your "macro" zoom.

As for which of your two lenses to use, I got that backwards. The 50/2.8 has a total depth of field of 0.15" at its minimum focus distance (7.8") and an aperture of f/8, while the 90/2.8 has a total DoF of 0.09" at its mfd (11.4") and f/8. So the 50/2.8 will give you more DoF for the same magnification.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
The tight shot was my taking a cheap shot at Lothar/Walther as they were the barrel supplier for that particular gun.

Custom parts are always "some assembly required" but that one sucked to epic proportion.

I thought my capture of the detail made for an excellent photo
It sure did. No way they can deny the issue with a clear image of it.

Yeah, I've read that they don't have the best customer service. I have one of their .22LR barrels in an AR upper, which was sold through a company called Spike's Tactical. It's a shooter, so I can't complain. I paid a pretty penny to get the LW barrel over another brand they offered, due to their accuracy.

Hey, LaRue uses them. That's good enough for me
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
At it's minimum focus distance, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 "macro" lens has a magnification ratio of 1:3.5, while both your Minolta 50/2.8 and Tamron 90/2.8 have magnification ratios of 1:1. Thus, your MACRO primes would work better than your "macro" zoom.

As for which of your two lenses to use, I got that backwards. The 50/2.8 has a total depth of field of 0.15" at its minimum focus distance (7.8") and an aperture of f/8, while the 90/2.8 has a total DoF of 0.09" at its mfd (11.4") and f/8. So the 50/2.8 will give you more DoF for the same magnification.
Thanks again TCav. Your ability to quote these specs never ceases to amaze me.

If you are still in the mood to amaze what if any benefits would there be to using macro tubes and or filters? I have a set of Kenko macro tubes with the electrical contacts that have never been out of the package.

It sure did. No way they can deny the issue with a clear image of it.

Denial was their first plan. I was assured that Lothar did not make mistakes so if there was an issue I had a counterfeit barrel so I needed to take my problem to someone who cared. I e-mailed that photo to Lothar engineering who promptly sent out a new barrel.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
If you are still in the mood to amaze what if any benefits would there be to using macro tubes and or filters? I have a set of Kenko macro tubes with the electrical contacts that have never been out of the package.
Macro extension tubes are a reasonable choice if you've got an appropriate lens to use them with. Extension tubes can and often do reduce the brightness of the image in the viewfinder, so you might have better luck with a fast prime. If you've got to use a zoom, try it first at its longest focal length because that's where your maximum magnification will be anyway.

Start off with the shortest tube and go from there. There's no way to estimate the magnification an extension tube will give you, except to say that longer tubes give you more magnification than shorter tubes, so it's all just trial and error. One of the things that will happen is that you DoF goes away very quickly. Working with a macro lens is simpler than working with extension tubes, but that doesn't mean you won't get what you want; it will just take longer to get there.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:58 PM   #10

Thank you TCav. I thought I knew the correct answer but wanted to make certain. As fiddly as these shots can be the last thing I needed was to make life more difficult.

Here are a few shots I did today of an auto indexing magazine add on for QB series Air Rifles. The Blue was done in my light tent with the Green on a big table as the whole rifle will not fit my tent. I am not feeling the Green background but thought the Blue was nice. With the exception of resizing for the forum these images are straight out of my camera. I used the Tamron 90mm macro lens

I just noticed the table top light stand leg in the last shot. To give an idea of perspective the magazine drum is slightly smaller than a .50 cent piece. I should add something to give the size some scale.
Attached Images