Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 31, 2014, 9:22 AM   #1

Default DIY Photobooth challenge

My niece has decided that since I'm the photography guy in the family, I would be the best person to ask to set up a Photobooth.
I've only seen one photo booth at a wedding I went to last summer and that one had small prints that were terrible quality.
I've ruled out making prints but maybe texting the photo would be the next best thing.
The other problem is trying to use a laptop or tablet to instantly view the photo.
My equipment will consist of,
A NEX-6
An ipad
Flash with umbrella x2

My niece and nephew will take care of the backdrop and props.
Now trying to figure out how to tie it all together is going to be challenging.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2014, 12:08 PM   #2

Download Sony's PlayMemories Mobile onto the iPad, and connect it to the NEX-6. From there, you can get an HP photo printer that supports ePrint, so you can print direct from the iPad. You'll have to disconnect from the camera and connect to the printer and back all the time, but it will do what you want.

I spontaneously did something similar to that at my daughter-in-law's baby shower just recently with a Sony QX-100. Mounting it on a GorillaPod helped. I used my Motorola smartphone, but I'd have used my wife's iPad Mini if I had known I'd be doing it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion TCav.

I ended up using the memories mobile app from Sony. It wasn't the best way to go but with the short notice I had and what I had to work with, it worked.

The memories mobile app allowed the NEX-6 and the ipad to communicate via wifi. I would shoot a batch of shots maybe 20-30. Then I would have to go to wifi button on the camera and select the photos from today only option. I would then grab the ipad and make sure the ipad was connected through the wifi settings. I always had to manually select the NEX address The ipad would never select the camera network automaticaly.

After the camera and ipad were connected I could send the photos to the iPads camera roll. After checking the camera roll to be sure the photos had uploaded I could then share them on the ipad. It was about a 5 minute transfer.

Then I would format the card and shoot another bunch of photos and repeat the process.

It was not a very easy way to get the shots on the ipad but, it worked out OK.

Adding a printer would have been better.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:47 AM   #4

When I was using PlayMemories Mobile with the QX-100, I had the option of storing images on the smartphone directly. I take it that wasn't an option available to you.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:21 AM   #5

Do the cameras work better with one OS platform over another? If someone were looking at tablets or pads to be used with cameras is there a benefit to going with a Windows platform over the Apple?
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:55 AM   #6

Actually, it's not 'Windows vs. Mac', it's 'Andriod vs. iOS'. PlayMemories Mobile won't work with Windows or Mac. I would have liked to control my QX-100 with my NetBook, but couldn't. There may be some third party apps that could, but I couldn't find any.

I used the QX-100 with my Android 4.1.2 smartphone as well as my wife's iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. The App did the same things the same way whatever device I was using to control the camera, so I'd say it didn't matter much. Zoom was jumpy, more so than is typical with P&S cameras and powerzoom lenses, which might be attributable to WiFi lag time between operating the controls and seeing the results, but I don't think one platform has much of an advantage over another in that department.

When I could get the iPad away form my wife for more than a few minutes, I did prefer that, but that was because of the bigger screen, not because of any 'Android vs. iOS' thing.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Thanks TCav. I still think you should offer the class I joked about shortly after I joined.

I have just ordered my first smart phone so am new to everything you and Mike had written. My current camera does not offer any wireless ability but any new camera would have the option so I am trying to get my arms around the issues if any exist.

As long as all of the devices are on board with the communication standard (WiFi,Bluetooth,etc) OS of the receiving device is no issue?
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:08 PM   #8

The receiving device needs to have the app for the camera. Sony's is PlayMemories Mobile which is available for Android and iOS.