Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:32 PM   #1

Default A6000 Low Shutter Speed Sync?

Experimenting with my new a6000 it appears there is no high speed flash synchronization and you are limited to 1/160th when using flash. Am I missing something? Is there a work around?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:26 PM   #2

G'day mate

Don't know all the in's & out's of the Sony - but...
Most dSLRs that I have come across will lock the speed onto the 'flash-syncro' speed [of 1/160 or thereabouts] when the camera is on Auto or Program, but then you are on Shutter or Manual modes you will fire the flash at whatever speed is selected

It does mean that speeds over 1/160 you will lose part of the image to blackness as the shutter blinds are not completely open ~ whereas at speeds slower than 1/160 [the time zone you are talking about] you will get the full long-exposure with the flash going off at the start of that time period

Can we have a bit more info from you as to how you have the camera setup?
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:25 PM   #3
Administrator

I haven't kept up with the latest Sony Flash models. But, as a general "rule of thumb", you will not have High Speed Sync with a built in flash, and the A6000 does not seem to be an exception. You'll find the same thing with other camera brands (Nikon, Canon, etc.), where the built in flashes in a dSLR type camera do not support High Speed Sync.

Instead, an external flash with that feature is needed. Basically, with High Speed Sync (HSS), the flash will need to fire a burst of flashes (requiring a lot more power), and the built in flashes with most cameras are not capable of that feature.

So, I'd research external flash models that are compatible with the A6000 if you really need that feature.

But, also keep in mind that without HSS, a flash burst is usually very fast (around 1/1000 second or faster in most cases), meaning that you can use a slower shutter speed and still freeze the action (because the subject is only illuminated properly during the much shorter flash burst, effectively freezing the action).

If you really need HSS, then I'd probably look at the HVL-F43M and HVL-F60M models for starters. Here's a page discussing HSS compatible models:

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/flash/01_basic/1-5.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:53 PM   #4

The A6000 has a Multi-Interface Shoe. The external flashes that have a Multi-Interface Shoe don't support High Speed Sync flash. In order to get HHS with the A6000, you need to get a compatible Sony flash plus an ADP-MAA adapter.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:35 PM   #5

BTW, JimC, this topic belongs in the NEX Forum.

Considering Sony's new model number strategy, it might make more sense to keep an A-Mount forum and an E-Mount forum, instead of the current delineation.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:48 PM   #6
Administrator

Sony's naming convention is confusing for sure (with both E-Mount and A-Mount cameras sharing the Alpha name lately).

I'm also wondering if it may make more sense just to combine those two forums (versus members being confused over the correct forum to use for questions/comments, etc.).

Sure, then you'd have two different lens mounts in the same forum. But, that may help to eliminate some of the confusion about the correct forum to use (and E-Mount models can use adapters to use A-Mount lenses anyway, so having different forums for each lens mount makes it even more confusing to members that may have older A-Mount lenses being used on a newer E-Mount cameras via an adapter, trying to figure out the forum to use for their comments and questions).

Also, the more forums we have, the more forums that members will have to view in order to find topics they're interested in, and/or have something to contribute to. So, there are some potential benefits to reducing the number of total forums by combining some of them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:59 PM   #7

It's been a long time since you posted this and I have to say as the E-mount body and lens selection grows, the more confusing it's getting for me, a long time A-mount user. The newer E-mount users are probably even more confused.

I would suggest a Sony Alpha main forum with two sub forums;

A-mount
and
E-mount

Or

Changing the Sony NEX forum to the Sony E-mount forum.
With the last few E-mount bodies being named the A7,R,S, A7II, A6000, yes, it is confusing. What happened to NEX?

in the A-mount forum there hasn't been much activity for quite a while. I feel like a dying breed.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote