Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistwalker1006 View Post
Sorry to being such a bother but just one more question which combination would be better as a starter kit for now :
SONY ALPHA A77 II W/DT 18-135 F3.5-5.6 or
SONY ALPHA A77 II W/TAMRON 17-50 F2.8 XR or
SONY ALPHA A77 II W/TAMRON 18-200 3.5-6.3
Without fear of contradiction:

SONY ALPHA A77 II W/TAMRON 17-50 F2.8 XR

The 18-135 and 18-200 are jacks-of-all-trades-and-masters-of-none lenses, and do not stand up well to the scrutiny of a 24MP image sensor.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compar...25_734_186_865

Last edited by TCav; Feb 15, 2015 at 9:57 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Without fear of contradiction:

SONY ALPHA A77 II W/TAMRON 17-50 F2.8 XR

The 18-135 and 18-200 are jacks-of-all-trades-and-masters-of-none lenses, and do not stand up well to the scrutiny of a 24MP image sensor.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compar...25_734_186_865
Thank you, so this is it then all I have to do is to sell my FZ200 and go and pick up my new camera,
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:33 PM   #23

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is an excellent lens and it won't break the bank, but do you think you might get more use out of the telephoto zoom you were also talking about?

I'm not suggesting that you not get the Tamron; I'm just asking if there isn't something else you might get more use out of while you only have one lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is an excellent lens and it won't break the bank, but do you think you might get more use out of the telephoto zoom you were also talking about?

I'm not suggesting that you not get the Tamron; I'm just asking if there isn't something else you might get more use out of while you only have one lens.
Yes and no, I do mostly a pictures of my little girl so I think Tamron 17-50/2.8 will do for now, and by the time summer rolls around, then I do more of the outdoorsy stuff ( camping, hiking,boating and fishing) ,I will have time to find a decent telephoto lens that will make me happy with the price and quality of the optics.

Last edited by mistwalker1006; Feb 15, 2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:28 AM   #25

Got my new camera and lenses yesterday, love it so far
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistwalker1006 View Post
Got my new camera and lenses yesterday, love it so far
Congratulations, and hope the new gear is to your expectation and satisfaction.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:35 PM   #27

Default Your new A77m2

I know this has been posted before on this forum, but I think you will find it very useful.
http://www.sony.net/Products/di/comm...ings_Guide.pdf
Good luck exploring all the possibilities of this camera.
Al
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015, 8:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
I know this has been posted before on this forum, but I think you will find it very useful.
http://www.sony.net/Products/di/comm...ings_Guide.pdf
Good luck exploring all the possibilities of this camera.
Al
I did not see that, thank you this is helpful
Old May 11, 2015, 1:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
I just got the A77II and haven't used it yet (just arrived last night) so I'm no help to you for now. But I wanted to say what I thought was cool that I got it.

There's software called Capture One (by PhaseOne) that apparently is really good that it's probably known only within professional circles.

But Sony likely made an arrangement with PhaseOne so the Sony "express" version of Capture One is free. (http://www.phaseone.com/Imaging-Soft...-for-Sony.aspx)

If you want to go pro, the Capture One Pro version which sells for $299 for Nikon, Canon, etc. costs only $30 for the Sony.

What's so cool to me about the pro version is tethering. I can connect the A77II to my Windows laptop via USB and control the camera from it complete with live view. I no longer need to buy an expensive-but-dumb $150 field monitor (like these at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=field+monitor) but instead with $30 software am able to even control my camera from my bigger screen laptop. That to me alone is worth the difference between A77 and A77II and any other DSLR no matter the brand for that matter.

EDIT: Just in case anyone gets sold by my Capture One Pro argument for the A77II, please note it requires a 64-bit Windows version. I tried installing on my Windows tablet but it wasn't 64-bit so it wouldn't install.

Mr Carpio,

I am wondering if this system is also Macbook Pro comparable as i am also looking for a replacement camera. Can you give a little insight into the interface of you are aware of that. How is that camera working for you now, as you have had it up and going for a while? would you still suggest it's purchase?
Old May 12, 2015, 10:46 AM   #30

Hi, hkmp50.

I tried tethering my A77II on my Mac Mini but couldn't get Capture One Pro's "Live View" to work. Although I can control the camera's shutter speed, ev, etc., I don't see what the camera is seeing on my Mac. The "Live View" option is there under the "Window" menu, but nothing happens when I click it.

Live View works on my 2 Windows laptops -- one Windows 8.1 and one Windows 7. I actually just took my Windows 7.1 laptop (the old Dell Inspiron Duo) for a spin last weekend.

According to Brian Smith's blog, however, the A77II should have Live View tethering:

http://briansmith.com/capture-one-pr...ring-for-sony/
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote