Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:46 PM   #1

Default Two Big Milestones for the Sony Camera Club on Flickr!

We're approaching the 5th Anniversary of the beginning of the Sony Camera Club on Flickr.

We're also approaching 300,000 photos in the Pool of the Sony Camera Club.

We hope you'll come celebrate with us at the Sony Camera Club!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:21 PM   #2

Just joined -- thank you.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015, 10:13 AM   #3

Thought about joining but these terms just left me cold, particularly the part about the use of my user name. I'm not sure why, it is not like I even try to sell my images, or that few if any are stand-outs, and only the ones I post to the group would be used, I still got that gut reaction that this is something I should not agree to.

Maybe it is because I really don't respect the Sony Corporation for much they have done the past 20 years outside of their sensor development. Why would I want to hand over to a big corporation all these things?

"If you agree to these rules, you can join the group.

By submitting your photograph(s), video(s), photograph or video titles and/or your Flickr username (the “Content”) to Sony’s Camera Club Flickr Group located at www.flickr.com/groups/sonycameraclub (the “Group”), you acknowledge and agree that (i) Sony Electronics Inc. and its successors, assigns, suppliers and vendors (“Sony”) shall have, without any further obligation, a perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid, worldwide, non-exclusive right and permission to copy, publicly display, publicly perform and use the Content in any media now known or hereafter developed in connection with Sony’s marketing and promotion of the Group or any successor thereof, and (ii) you have accepted the Yahoo! Terms of Service. If Sony desires to use your Content for a purpose not covered by this license, Sony will contact you to request your permission. Additionally, by submitting the Content you are certifying to Sony that you have all of the rights and permissions necessary (including written authorizations of any individuals depicted in the Content, or such individuals’ parents or guardians if under 18 years of age) to grant the foregoing rights and permissions to Sony. "

Last edited by NewsyL; May 8, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015, 11:57 AM   #4

Sony promotes the Sony Camera Club via several media. It does so by including a screen shot of the Flickr Group's welcome page, which includes thumbnails of images members submit to the Pool, along with the members' screen names.

In order to reproduce those images and the associated screen names in its promotional materials, Sony must have the rights to reproduce them, which it ONLY does to promote the Sony Camera Club. It also presumes that members have permission to use the images of the people in the images.

This is all just to protect Sony from legal action that might occur from it using screen shots of the Sony Camera Club, when promoting the Club.

Sony does not use the Pool of the Sony Camera Club as a resource to produce marketing materials for its products. When it does see something it would like to use, it contacts the member directly, and negotiates terms for its use separately from any agreement the member has with the Club. (I have seen this many times in the 5 years I've been a moderator at the Sony Camera Club.)

It's written in legalese and so its actual intent may seem obscure, but in actual practice, it's all quite respectable and above board, and in my experience Sony has always been entirely forthright in its dealings with the members.

I appreciate the opportunity to set your mind at ease on this issue. Thank you for raising it.

Last edited by TCav; May 8, 2015 at 5:32 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 9:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
...It does so by including a screen shot of the Flickr Group's welcome page, which includes thumbnails of images members submit...
Yes, this is how I understand it. I remember Facebook issued a similar thing in the past and was later explained in the same manner. Corporations are prone to being sued I guess so even if they reproduced just thumbnails of other people's work simply to show a realistic representation of their website they could be taken advantage of and be sued.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote