Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:30 PM   #1

Default Old Sony camera new old lens.

Just picked up a SAL 35/f1.4G. I've been waiting for a week and a half to get out for a photo shoot and give it a go. I was able to get my wife out for a walk/shoot and she allowed me to take some photo's. My primary use for getting this lens is to shoot people. The 35mm distance is something I'll need to get used to, I usually shoot at longer focal lengths but having the ability to open up the aperture to 1.4 is a nice tool to have. It takes some practice. Using the center focusing point and recomposing doesn't work with this lens at f/1.4. The depth of field is very narrow and the way the lens is constructed with the curvature of the glass you will not get sharp images. You definitely need to use the outside focusing points to make an image thats sharp and with good composition.

I took this shot with the sun in the frame to see how it handles flare. I used a on board flash to balance out the light.

1. Looking for whales.
Sony A900, 35mm @ f/7.1, ISO 320, 1/2000 sec, TTL flash, center weight metering

This one I asked her to sit in the shade so I could open up the aperture all the way to see what kind of bokeh I could get, the main reason I bought this lens.
2. Watching a kite.
Sony A900, 35mm @ f/1.4, ISO 200, 1/3200sec, spot meter on face

Last one.
3. Sunset in the bougainvilleas.
Sony A900, 35mm @ f/1.4, ISO 200, 1/1000sec, TTL flash, spot meter on face

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited by lomitamike; Apr 25, 2018 at 5:49 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:52 PM   #2

Good shooting Mike. That first shot, the lens handled the flare very well (as in none), and the photographer did the rest. The third shot is my favorite of your beautiful wife, because I love eye contact. And she consistently delivers. You are a lucky man. Mine is too shy to allow me to shoot her, unless I am very careful with my angles.

The center picture indeed shows the limited depth of field. Were you very close, or did you have to crop? You isolated her very well.

You seem to have a keeper in that new lens.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:30 AM   #3

I love large apertures and always thought that the 35/1.4 would be an interesting lens to work with, but I'm a medium telephoto kinda guy so I wouldn't spend the money.

I think what you may be seeing is the effect of some spherical aberration which results in focus shift. AF always operates at the maximum aperture (f/1.4 or f/1.2), but when the lens stops down (to f/2.8 or f/4) for the shot, the focus shifts and the depth of field isn't enough to compensate.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 25, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post

The center picture indeed shows the limited depth of field. Were you very close, or did you have to crop? You isolated her very well.

You seem to have a keeper in that new lens.
Yes Robert, I'm keeping it I've been waiting many years to get this lens. This lens displays the classic "Minolta look" that I really like. I've read many negative reviews about how soft the lens performs at 1.4 but my first time out with it, I'm happy with the sharpness.

In the center picture I was about 7 feet away and the bottom picture I was about 5 feet. No cropping on any of them.

I got the lens for a very good price. With a lot of a-mount users jumping ship to e-mount the lens market for a-mount is getting very good for those who stay with a-mount.

E-mount may be the future for Sony but with the release of the A99II that extends the a-mount life for at least 10 more years.

The A99 has become very affordable and if Sony upgrades the A99II that may be affordable for me in the future.

Another lens that I've been shooting with quite a bit lately is the Minolta 35-70 f/4. I think there going for $25 to $35 now and it's a great little lens. It too has the classic look and is very sharp. Keep it at f/4 and you will get some classic looking portrait shots and stop it down to f/16 and it makes great sunset starburst.

At the park
A900, 35-70 @ 35mm, f/4, ISO 320, 1/1250sec, center weight metering

Sunset tide pools Starburst
Minolta 5D, 35-70 f/4 @ 35mm, f/16,ISO 400,1/60sec,center weight metering
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:12 PM   #5

You have to love minolta lenses. I only have one, the 70-210 beercan, and the sharpness and color at f4 is remarkable, as with your 35-70.

I had looked at that lens on Amazon and other pklaces, and ended up getting a Tamron SP 28-70 f2.8, and it has proved to be a nice portrait lens, and at f4, is astonishingly sharp. Still, for as cheaply as you got yours, I may have to re-think that lens. You still shoot with a 5D?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:59 PM   #6

That Tamron is an excellent lens. I'd rather have that then the Minolta 35-70. My workhorse lens is the Minolta 28-75 2.8(D). It's old but it still takes pictures good enough for me. The beercan is another great lens. I used to have it and I miss it and it does have the same look as the 35-70, little brother lens. Those older Minolta lenses just render pictures with a certain look that the newer lenses don't.

No more 5D. It started getting the black screen and finally died about 5 years ago.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:08 PM   #7

I also have the Beercan, and love it. At today's prices, having an A-Mount body and NOT having a Beercan doesn't make a lot of sense, though I admit that I hardly use it. I use my Tokina 100-300/4 on my Nikon D7200 for all my long focal length stuff.

I also have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and a Sigma 70/2.8 Macro, plus a Kenko 1.4X TC, a set of Kenko extension tubes, and a Samyang 500/8 catadioptric lens that I also use with my Nikon.

I used the Samyang with the TC to get some shots of the Eclipse, and they turned out great.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 27, 2018 at 11:37 AM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote