Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:22 AM   #11

I subscribe to the Minolta Newswatch Letter. It is producedand distributed via email by Minolta. This was the useless announcement they sent out to the USA:

If you're a Maxxum owner,
you already enjoy sophisticated photography with a camera created by the people who introduced "body-integral autofocus" to the world. Very soon you'll be able to enjoy sophisticated DIGITAL photography using the same interchangeable Maxxum lenses you already own. And the best part is -- every Maxxum lens you own will become part of a complete "body-integral Anti Shake" system that will improve nearly every picture you take by suppressing the unsharpness that can be caused by slight camera movement during exposure. (With some camera systems, users must spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to achieve Anti Shake stabilization.) It's not ready yet -- but it's coming soon. And you are now among the first to hear about it. Stay tuned.

WOW, this announcement was just loaded with information!!

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:58 PM   #12

Hi Jim,

I actually made the leap to Canon. I'm going to pick up my 10D tonight at the local FedEx. I got it for $1,211.11 at onecall.com. I'm selling off my Minolta stuff.

I just couldn't justify taking any more pictures with my Maxxum and paying to have them developed knowing that only a handful would be keepers. I bought a Fuji s7000 about a month ago for $367 at Best Buy with a $100 rebate ($267 final cost!) so I've been using that in the interim.

I don't know how much I'll get for my maxxum 5 and lenses but I'm comfortable with my decision.

Good luck to anyone who sticks it out with Minolta. I just couldn't wait anymore!

Dennis
Everett711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:45 AM   #13

Hi Guys!

First time posting, but I felt it was interesting:

IMHO the later Minolta introduces Maxxum 7 dSLR, the cheaper it has to be as Canon and Nikon (and basically all the rest) has already taken a giant market share in this segment. So Minlta has already lost a lot of customes and if they want anything back, they will need a "big bang" camera, priced agressively to fight against the well estabilished dRebel and D70 like cameras. Even if they'll have Anti-shake, it would only be enough to turn existing Minolta customers to dSLR buyers, but if they price it below competition they can win back some lost customers, like some of you who already posted on this site.

Of course this is something I'm making up, and partly it is my wish as well , but I think it would make sense if I was a marketing guy at Minolta...

THX
Halibali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:02 PM   #14
Administrator

Halibali wrote:
Quote:
Even if they'll have Anti-shake, it would only be enough to turn existing Minolta customers to dSLR buyers, but if they price it below competition they can win back some lost customers, like some of you who already posted on this site.
I dunno..... I'd be inclined to believe that they will want to get a premium for the anti-shake.

Check out some of the IS lenses from Canon, or the VR lenses from Nikon. These can get pretty pricey for someone that needs anti-shake technology.

Since KM's approach stabilizes the CCD (allowing users to have anti-shake with their existing lenses), I think they will price it above the Drebel and D70.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:48 PM   #15
rdo

Here's the content of an email received from Konica Minolta today.

They are currently conducting a survey which is obviously directly related to their forthcoming release of the 7 Digital SLR.

"We would like to ask the owners of a Konica Minolta camera to participate in a brief survey. By doing this you help Konica Minolta to improve future products for our customers.

The survey is only open from the 15.07.2004 - 19.07.2004

Prizes will be awarded: One DiMAGE G600 and three 256MB CompactFlash cards will be given to four randomly selected participants. Good Luck. The draw will take place on 23.07.2004

To enter the poll, please click on the following link:

http://www.konicaminoltaphotoworld.com/poll "
rdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 6:24 PM   #16
dax

I have heard autumn is still the release date. In the meantime I bought the Canon Digital Rebel. a pretty good camera but I miss all the functions the maxxum 7 has. And as I have a lot of Minolta glass I am not going to invest more in buying Canon glass. If the Maxxum dslr matches or pretty much matches the Maxxum 7 slr it will surely smack both Nikon and Canon 300D in the face. We'll see but for sure I will go for it.
dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:21 PM   #17
NHL

Just got an E-mail from Konica Minolta today...
It sounds like the Anti-Shake system can also double as a dust reduction ie "to shake the dust off"

BTW this system also works with the 500mm f/8 mirror.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:38 PM   #18
Administrator

I have no way to verify if this is true or not. The person posting the information claims it came from a reliable source (I amskeptical):

"10Konica-Minolta Digital SLR's are in Mahwah, NJ being tested and played with".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:39 PM   #19
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I have no way to verify if this is true or not. The person posting the information claims it came from a reliable source (I amskeptical):

"10Konica-Minolta Digital SLR's are in Mahwah, NJ being tested and played with".

And Elvis was seen leaving the building :lol:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:19 AM   #20

I know he was SEEN, but was he photographed with a MINOLTA DIGITAL SLR???
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote