Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:20 PM   #1

I've heard that the Maxxum 7 DSLR may be delayed until early 2005. Has anyone else heard this? I'm having trouble maintaining my sanity while the Nikon D70 and Digital Rebel are calling my name. Should I hold out until the 7DSLR arrives or jump ship?

Thanks,

Dennis
Everett711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:06 PM   #2
Administrator

We really don't expect to hear anything new until the Photokina show in Germany in September. The other day Minolta-Europe added the Dynax 7 web page, not much there yet but at least it's there:

http://www.konicaminoltaeurope.com/c...%207%20Digital
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:47 PM   #3

Thanks Steve,

I signed up for their newsletter so I'll hopefully be kept up to date.

Dennis
Everett711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:55 AM   #4

I have a 35mmm Maxxum 7000 AF and $500 worth of Minolta lenses, and just got me a Canon DRebel.

The only thing that worries me is: what price will be the new Minolta DSLR? Given the anti-shake mechanism, the Minolta DSLR would have a definite advantage over the DRebel. I expect it would be priced around $1200 to compete with the Nikon D-70. And I assume the Minolta would start from ISO 100 if not less (Nikon starts at ISO 200, the DRebel at ISO 100).

Now I'm really confused. I don't know if I should have waited for the Minolta and shouldn'thave bought the DRebel? The lens savings isn't worth much, but the anti-shake could make a big difference. I wouldn't need to carry a tripod for the long zoom shots. Plus Minolta may have a lot more controls that are currently disabled in the DRebel.

Oh, well. They waited too long... (fuming)
Burl1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:55 AM   #5
Administrator

You'll probably find that the new Minolta dSLR will be priced nearer the upper end of the "middle priced" dSLRs -- at least IMHO. This is not going to be a budget camera like the Rebel or D70 but more of a performance camera for pros. We all know that Minolta can make a very fast AF system, their early 35mm cams made Nikon and Canon look stupid when it came to auto focus. We won't have to wait too much longer to find out -- full disclosure at Photokina in September and probably the info will be out before the show as far as pricing and full specs go.

We certainly welcome the competition - without it the Digital Rebel would be selling for $5000 or more. It was only just a few years ago that Kodak Pro dSLRs were selling for $13K and only delivered 2-Megapixels ... have we come a ways in the last four or five years -- OH YEAH
Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:07 PM   #6

Hi all,

This is my first post.
I have several pieces of AF Minolta SLR equipment that I am planning on using on the Digital SLR Maxxum 7.

Does anyone have a guess about the price of that new camera and how can we get a better idea about the release date.

I'd really, really, really like to have it in my hands before my wife and children go to DisneyWorld.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Michael
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:23 AM   #7

I'g guess it will priced about the same as a Canon 10d. This isn't going to be a bargain basement Rebel or D70 which are made out of plastic. I'd guess that will come along later, which is a pity. Olympus made the same mistake with their E1 - producing an expensive alloy bodied camera where they'd be better advised to make a cheap and cheerful body that would get everyone buying their lenses.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 4:50 PM   #8
Administrator

Photokina is in Germany in September and I don't imagine we will see "for sale" models of the Maxxum7 dSLR before the Fall of 2004 -- price willprobably around $2K or so for the body. This is not based on anything official as of yet however...
Old Jun 25, 2004, 4:51 PM   #9

Everett711 wrote:
Quote:
I've heard that the Maxxum 7 DSLR may be delayed until early 2005.* Has anyone else heard this?* I'm having trouble maintaining my sanity while the Nikon D70 and Digital Rebel are calling my name.* Should I hold out until the 7DSLR arrives or jump ship?*
Thanks,
Dennis
Everett711, have you alreeady got Minolta glass ? If not, personally I would look at the D70 or the 300d/rebel. (just my humble opinions etc) Both Canon and Nikon have produced lots of other DSLR's already, and for a few years now, so hopefully ironing out any minor problems/design faults etc
With this being Minoltas first DSLR I just think you're spending alot of money on something thats their 'tester' if you like in the market. (same for olympus E1 and Pentax *istD)

On the other hand I have no evidence/backing for this theory! and Minolta have been making quality film slr's for years I guess, but if it were me I think I'd plump for a 'safer' option maybe with Nikon or Canon. (assuming you haven't already got minolta glass in which case I guess the argument is different then)

Like I say, this is just something I've dreamed up in my head, no hard facts here or anything, but would be interested to see other peoples opinions on this :-)

Jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:44 PM   #10
NHL

Minolta makes excellent digital cameras already... the A1/A2 is probably the most sophisticated if not the most fully featured cameras in their class!

1. Does anyone know who 1st introduced AF to SLR?
2. How about Custom Functions then (even removeable memory cards)?
3. Or a wireless TTL master/slave flash system years before anyone else?
4. Did I mention motorized Xi zoom which can keep a constant aspect ratio as the subject moved?
5. How about auto On/Off as the camera is picked up or lifted to eye level?
... there's many other first as well so an integrated Image Stabilization in an SLR body camera to prevent anti-shake is not going to break any new ground for them either.

Don't forget the glass, Minolta has "G" which can rival any "L" (I have both BTW)!!!

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote