Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:47 PM   #11
Administrator

Well, the latest report I saw from a Pro Photographer in Texas, was that his KM rep told him that they should have U.S. prices settoday or tomorrow, and be shipping by the end of the month. Although, I have no way to know if this is true or not.

Some of the dealers outside of the U.S. are already taking preorders, with some expecting delivery in the first week of November.

My best guess is that they will price the body a little under the EOS-20D for U.S. sales.

Outside of the U.S., the prices have been very close to the EOS-20Dfor the preorder pricing I've seen reported so far.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:05 AM   #12

I wouldnt be suprised if the camera went for $1100 list, but had a street price under $1000. After all, it has to compete with the Nikon D70 and the much cheaper Canon Digital Rebel.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:22 AM   #13

There seems to be a lot of people thinking it will try to compete with the D20. I'm no expert by a long short but I've been looking into both cameras and it looks, to me, like the D20 is much more camera than the 7D. If I'm mistaken about that, please let me know where. Granted, if you've already got lenses (which I don't) that will make a huge difference in how you look at it.

So, if it's in the same range as the 20D, I'm going with Canon. If, as you say, it's in the range of the Rebel, I'll probably get it. I just looked for pricing again this morning and still can't see a US price anywhere.
spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:04 AM   #14
Administrator

spotly wrote:
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of people thinking it will try to compete with the D20. I'm no expert by a long short but I've been looking into both cameras and it looks, to me, like the D20 is much more camera than the 7D. If I'm mistaken about that, please let me know where. Granted, if you've already got lenses (which I don't) that will make a huge difference in how you look at it.

So, if it's in the same range as the 20D, I'm going with Canon. If, as you say, it's in the range of the Rebel, I'll probably get it. I just looked for pricing again this morning and still can't see a US price anywhere.
The Dynax 7/Maxxum 7 Film Cameras were not designed to be entry level bodies. So, it's not going to be priced like the Rebel, which is an entry level body.

When you look at the Dynax 7 in the film world, you're getting a vastly superior Autofocus System (the world's fastest when it was introduced, and it may still be), a very bright viewfinder, great control layout, superior build quality, etc.

KMmodeled the Dynax / Maxxum 7 Digital after the film body. So, it's not designed to be entry level body.

Based on pricing I've seen so far, it looks like it's going to come in at around $1,599 (that's what Ritz Camera is taking preorders for now, it's on their web site):

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...uctId=13193355

It depends on what you want in a camera. With the KM 7D, you're getting Anti-Shake built into the body. So, all of your lenses will benefit. This should get you 2 to 3 stops when hand holding a camera at slower shutter speeds.

With competitors models, you'd need to buy lenses with this ability built in. For example, I could take a KM 7D, buy a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM lens for it, and save about $700.00 over buying a Canon EOS-20D with a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens, evenif the price of the 7D body is $100.00 higher (because I'd be saving about $800.00 by using the Sigma lens, and still be getting the benefits of anti-shake).

For someone wanting anti-shake for some of the 1:1 macro lenses, etc., you may not even be able to find a solution outside of the KM 7D to give you the benefits of not needing tripod in lower light and/or when stopping down the aperture for greater depth of field. Ditto for those who may want to use their shorter prime lenses for low shooting without a tripod or withoutbumping up ISO speeds to extremely high levels. KM would have the only solution allowing them to hand hold this type of lens at slower shutter speeds.

Yep -- I think the price is a bit steep myself (from the prices I've seen so far). But, for those that want/need the benefits of anti-shake, it could be a more economical solution (or the only solution in town for hand heldphotos atslower shutter speedswith some lens types).
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:29 AM   #15

Thanks JimC for some good info andfor the link. Like I mentioned, I'm no expert and making the decision between the 2 cameras has been very difficult for me. Glad to see there's finally a price out there, even though it seems a bit steep to me.
spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:51 AM   #16
Administrator

My original guess was that they'd be pricing it above the Nikon D70, yet below the Canon EOS-20D, since I figured that KM would want to gain a strong foothold in the market, and be competitive to do so.

So far, it looks like the dealers are quoting prices higher than the 20D.

I'm still optimistic that it may hit with a slightly lower price (but, it's doubtful based on dealer reports so far).

Of course, a brand new model always demands a premium. It's supply and demand. There is littledoubtthat many users with a big investment in Minolta lenses have been anxiously awaiting this product's availability. So, dealers are going to capitalize on this demand.

I'd give it a little while for it to show up in the price search engines, to see where the price actually settles at.

Rumour has it thatsome cameras are already in the U.S., and larger national account dealers (those buying direct from KM) started getting their order forms yesterday (or so some posters claiming to have talked to their KM reps say). I have no way to confirm these rumours. If true, it should be SKU'd and in the price search engines very soon.

If you plug in Maxxum 7D, when it hits the distributor systems, it should come up. I'd keep checking. It should hit anytime if the rumours are true (especially since it's starting to show up on web sites for a couple of the larger dealers like Ritz).

http://www50.shopping.com/xPP-Digital_Cameras~linkin_id-3053120

Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:33 PM   #17

Thanks for the updates JimC!!!
JeffV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:19 PM   #18
jpw

If you type "minolta maxxum 7d" into Google, you get two links back where you can pre-order: RitzCamera.com and WolfCamera.com, both for $1599. I don't really care. I'm fired up about finally getting a digital SLR. Can't wait for the 9D!

Already ordered a 4GB CF card, a 5600HS (since my 5400HS won't work with the 7D except in manual mode), and a Sigma 12-24.

Sure, I was hoping it would be $1000, but it won't keep me from getting it. I've got a bunch of Maxxum lenses and, besides, Minolta still makes great products.

Jay
jpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:43 PM   #19
jpw

Amazon, who has had the camera listed for at least a week or so, now has a price. Same as the other sites: $1600.

Just pre-ordered mine (and the VC-7)on Ritz. I normally buy camera gear from B&H, but they're not taking pre-orders, so hopefully ordering from Ritz works out okay.

I'm getting quite excited!

Jay
jpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:50 PM   #20

Amazon.com states that the 7D will be released November 30th.

Is it possible that Ritz and other dealers may have it before Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

JeffV is offline   Reply With Quote