Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:18 PM   #21
jpw

Just saw it on Adorama, too. Same price. They say:

"Expected delivery beginning of November 2004"

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7D.html?se...&item_no=2

Not sure why Amazon says Nov. 30th. That's depressing. I'm planning on shooting a wedding with it on December 4th! That would be cutting it a little close!!!

Jay
jpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:49 AM   #22

jpw wrote:
Quote:
Just saw it on Adorama, too. Same price. They say:

"Expected delivery beginning of November 2004"

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7D.html?se...&item_no=2

Not sure why Amazon says Nov. 30th. That's depressing. I'm planning on shooting a wedding with it on December 4th! That would be cutting it a little close!!!

Jay
jpw,

Yes you would be cutting it close to shoot that wedding! Hopefully it'll be available at Adorama or Ritz by early November. We'll just have to wait and see.
JeffV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:44 PM   #23
Administrator

Latest Rumour:

A poster on another forum claims that his local Ritz just called him to let him know that the cameras had arrived at their warehouse and could be in their store within 5 business days if he wanted to order one.

I have no way to validate his claim.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:55 PM   #24
jpw

Well, I get the impression that I'm one of the first ones in line (I think yesterday was the first day anyone had them onlineand that's when I pre-ordered mine)and I paid for overnight shipping. I'll let you all know when mine arrives.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jay
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:51 AM   #25

I'm not buying a 7D until I see a review from Steve. Also, I will wait for the price to drop considerablybelow $1600.

I was hoping I could "re-use" my existing Minolta lenses, but with the 1.5x multiplication factor, why would I want to stick a nice 24mm-135mm wide angle zoom lens from my film camera on a 7D and have it equate to a 36mm-200mm lens? The 36mm wide angleturns my nice wide angle zoom into only an average wide angle zoom(wider is better).

Also, if the street price doesn't sink below $1,000, I would probably move over to a Nikon or Canon. Perhaps Minolta has overpriced themselves in the market.

As for the anti-shake, my theory isyou give something up to gain something. I have anti-shake on my video camera, and I don't use it because it compromises image quality.

I'm taking the wait and see approach.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:07 PM   #26
jpw

Ifthe image stabilization on your video camera compromises picture quality, then it must be digital image stabilization. Optical image stabilization does nothing but improve picture quality, and that's what the 7D has.

I've written a preview of the 7D on my website, which may be of interest to some, but not to others. I'll expand it with more interesting info after I get the camera, for any who care.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:20 PM   #27

When oh when will the Maxxum 7D-SLR be "on the streets" already?

Enough hype... I can't believe they missed getting it into retail stores by "Black Friday"!

With two Minolta 35mm SLR bodies and several lenses, I've been longing to get my hands on one of these to "try" before buying, and I can't seem to find one in Maryland anywhere...

has anyone actually touched one yet?
FirePix1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:17 AM   #28
jpw

I've had one for a couple weeks. I've got a review of it on my website--http://www.jpwphoto.com.

I'm shooting the Seattle Marathon with it tomorrow.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:42 PM   #29

jpw wrote:
Quote:
I've had one for a couple weeks. I've got a review of it on my website--http://www.jpwphoto.com.

I'm shooting the Seattle Marathon with it tomorrow.
Nice write-up.... I have to admit.. Although I'd classify myself as an "advanced amateur" photographer.. shoot a lot of my 2 little kids/family shots as well as "spot news" fires/accidents and the like, and I'm afraid that by the time I'm done reading the 7D manual and learing how to use this camera, that the next generation will be out!!

I'm mostly eager to get my hands on it so I can can enjoy the ability to use my variety of lens lengths with a digital camera... I have a Fuji S602 Zoom digital (non-SLR) now and I like it a lot.. takes great shots.. but this is in a different league of course.

May I ask how you got the camera so 'early'? Did the West Coast receive its shipments before the East Coast?
FirePix1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:00 PM   #30
jpw

I called B&H (of course) to ask if I could pre-order it. All he did was look in the computer. I knew it wasn't there, since it wasn't showing up on their website. Anyway, Ritz was the first website (I believe) to get it posted on their site for pre-order. Within a couple days, B&H and Adorama had it on their sites for pre-order, too. Anyway, the very day Ritz put it on their site for pre-order, I reserved the 7D and the VC-7D (with overnight shipping). So, I think I was probably toward the top of the list of people in America to pre-order one. I was lucky to see it on Ritz's site immediately. Anyway, I got mine about a month after I pre-ordered it. I love it!