Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:07 PM   #31
Administrator

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I'm not buying a 7D until I see a review from Steve. Also, I will wait for the price to drop considerablybelow $1600.

We should have our 7D review posted in about a week. We're kind of overloaded with SLRs right now - we also have the Pentax *ist DS, Canon 1Ds Mk II and an Olympus E-300 coming in a day or two. When it rains, it pours ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 3:09 PM   #32

Steve - For all of us who have not yet had the ultimate faith to part with our money your forthcoming review of the 7d is greatly awaited for.

If you can post it before Xmas then great as this 'little baby' is currently on my Xmas wish list depending on what you say about it

I'm really interested in the Anti Shake on a 300mm lens (equivalent to 450mm on the 7D I believe) and the resulting image quality. I don't know if you can get hold of a Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 XR DI lens to test it with as over here in England that lens is priced at £249. I'mno DSLR expert (I'm moving upto DSLR) but for me that lens may seem like a reasonable choice to hook up with the 7D as I take lots of Sports Photography.

stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:04 PM   #33

Can anyone post where their Maxuum is made. I saw one that was made in Japan. I also saw a picture on a website that said that it was made in China..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:39 PM   #34

yeah, can anyone verify this?

as what was told by my cousin, the major output for his workplace factory is currently Maxxum/Dynax 7D,
with only the low end KM are made in China and definately not 7D.

I'm not sure when rumors about 7D started out, but I was told about the existance of prototype DSLR about two years ago at the hands of Minolta's (not KM) engineer in Malaysia...

I'm still waiting steve's review before asking my cousin to get the camera for me with his staff's discount...
sdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:24 PM   #35

Long story short... here on the East Coast, Ritz had the 7D-SLR advertised in its sale flyer @ Thanksgiving.. calls made to 6 + stores.. none had it, half of them had no idea what I was even talking about.. couldn't search their inventory.. told me to keep calling back to check.

This week I called several of their 800#s till I found the "right one".. spoke to a Ritz rep, who told me the stores will NOT be stocking the camera.. "we only bought a few b/c we didn't think they would sell in our stores @ that price ($1,599) so they are only being sold mail order and over the Internet."

When asked about those photogs who might like to actually hold one in the store and "play" with it a bit b4 plunking down that amount of change, she said, "well, we're not selling it in our stores. They just won't sell @ that price."

THEN WHY DID THEY PUT IT IN THE FLYER???
FirePix1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:53 PM   #36

I received my 7D this past Monday, according to the tag on the bottom of the chassis, my unit was made in Malaysia.
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:26 PM   #37

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
.. that said that it was made in China..
Im sorry I meant "Malaysia". not China.

Too bad.. if Im going to plop more than $1,500 for a SLR, I want it made in Japan. Can someone please post if their camera is made in Japan.. I know.. I know.. Im OCD about these things.. :-)
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 3:53 PM   #38
NHL

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
Too bad.. if Im going to plop more than $1,500 for a SLR, I want it made in Japan. Can someone please post if their camera is made in Japan.. I know.. I know.. Im OCD about these things.. :-)
It's the high-speed machines which make and test theses cameras -> It does NOT matter where theses machines are located. The quality of a design is built-in to the manufacturing process

People are just 'operators' and they have stop hand soldering/assembly eons ago :idea:
... especially with surface mounted components (SMT)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:03 PM   #39

I don't think the Minolta is over-priced. You pay ONCE for anti-shake, instead of purchasing lenses that cost as much as the camera. I looked at Nikon's VR lenses. The 70-200 2.8 is $1700. Now, go get the other lenses you'll need with VR, all over $1000, and you'll see how cost effective the one-time anti-shake fee is.
Sharon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:31 PM   #40

Comments have been popping up around the web about the inaccuracy of the metering and flash metering systems on the 7d. It has been said that the 7d consistently auto-exposes about 2-stops lower than it should.

Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed in a firmware upgrade?
lumenars is offline   Reply With Quote