Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:42 PM   #51

Now am I correct in saying that there is no B & W option?:?
Mountain Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:14 PM   #52

The best B&W option is to convert an image after the fact with software.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:45 AM   #53

Not a big deal, but can someone explain to me the logic behind hiding the ISO 3200 speed? It would seem to me that they would have just left it available in the ISO selection instead of first having to change the selection option to make it availalble. Unless taking it out also disables it and prevents the camera from selecting it in the "Auto" Iso setting.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:55 AM   #54
Administrator

They probably did that sinceit's got more noise and lower dynamic range. ;-)

Canon does the same thing with their models that support ISO 3200 (like their EOS-20D).

Most of these cameras have supporting chipsets that only allow amplification of the CCD signal through ISO 1600. After that, they are multiplying the values after the analog to digital converter to achieve this sensitivity, which does hurt Dynamic Range. So,ISO 3200 is usually referred to as"extended ISO" in cameras that support it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:42 PM   #55

I was looking to get a canon 20D but some one adviced me to consider the Maxxum 7D, it has been out a while now and the price has dropped to make it very affordable. Is this a good buy when compared to a 20D?
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:47 PM   #56

creeduk wrote:
Quote:
I was looking to get a canon 20D but some one adviced me to consider the Maxxum 7D, it has been out a while now and the price has dropped to make it very affordable. Is this a good buy when compared to a 20D?
I'd answer yes, but then I'm a bit biased by having a 7D. :blah:

But the answer is really up to you. The built-in Anti-shake feature is great, and IMHO the 7D's ergonomics are unbeatable. However, the Canon has a higher resolution 8mp CMOS sensor which will give you better high-ISO shots with less noise. Also, when you purchase a DLSR, you're buying into a system - mainly a collection of lenses. Canon has the best lens collection (also IMHO), and this is something to also consider. But with this, you'll need to spend extra to get IS in the lens, where KM/Sony has this in body - where almost every lens is stabilized.

So it really boils down to what your needs are. If I was in the market for a new DSLR now - I'd likely go for a Canon 30D simply because Sony hasn't come out with a 7D replacement yet. But you could get a 7D now for a great price, and then wait and see what Sony does for their new DSLRs next year. :idea:
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 1:01 AM   #57

exactly 1 year and a day since anyone have posted on this thread.

*Knock Knock* Anyone still here?
vclipse3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:45 PM   #58

Still here...

Two Things:

1) Sony is STILL fixing the Maxxum 7D "BlackFrame" problem for FREE... just got mine done (Oct 2007). Blackframe is when the 7D locks up and goes black intermittently. It's actually a faulty gear!Just call Sony to get the repair going. And they've contracted Precision Camera in CT to do the work. They are the best of the best.

2) Previous post stated that Canon makes the best lenses. There's one Minolta/Sony that walks Canon and Nikon and all the rest: 70-200mm SSM. The bokeh alone is the best there is, let alone image quality. Pair that with an 12.2mp A700 and that excellent new sensor (reminder: Sony makesNikon's sensors!), and you're on top of the world.There's a Japanese engineering panel (I need to find that site again) that studied and created a list if the 14 best 35mm SLR lenses ever made. Minolta had three on the list, including the#1 position: yep, 70-200mm SSM. In fact, it was the only lens to get a perfect score. And it's a zoom, not a prime. How 'bout that.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:18 AM   #59

Still got my 7d, being fix as of this moment by precision. Great camera, will never get rid of it.
optizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:05 AM   #60
Administrator

Precision seems to be doing much bettter now on fixing any 7D problems. I just saw a someone report a day or two ago that the turnaround time (including shipping both ways) was only 5 days to fix their 7D. That's as good as you could ask for.

Let us know how well they do with your 7D.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote