Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:37 PM   #1

The new information about the D7 is helpful, but it raises additional questions:

1. The specs don't seem that different than those of the Nikon D70. Is the integrated anti-shake mechanism the only reason for the anticipated significantly higher price, or am I missing someting?

2. What does it mean that the two new zoom lenses are "optimized" for use with the D7? Does this mean the existing AF lenses are less than optimal for use with this camera? Conversely, how will the new lenses perform with the Maxxum 7 film camera? Do I have to buy two lenses of the same focal length in order to use both cameras? In particular, is the 17-35 mm G lens (which is expensive but evidently slower than the new 17-35 mm) a better or worse choice for use with the D7.

3. Are more new lenses planned? What are the anticipated prices and configurations? Will there be "G" lenses in this format?

4. Why the new V7-D vertical grip? Couldn't they make the existing V7 grip compatible with this camera? What are the differences between the two grips?

Thanks to anyone who has information or even speculation abou these issues.

marktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2
NHL

marktj wrote:
Quote:
1. The specs don't seem that different than those of the Nikon D70. Is the integrated anti-shake mechanism the only reason for the anticipated significantly higher price, or am I missing someting?
Partly - The D7 is not aimed as an entry level model, but mid-line. The anti-shake helps save (hopefully) on subsequent lenses

Quote:
2. What does it mean that the two new zoom lenses are "optimized" for use with the D7? Does this mean the existing AF lenses are less than optimal for use with this camera? Conversely, how will the new lenses perform with the Maxxum 7 film camera? Do I have to buy two lenses of the same focal length in order to use both cameras? In particular, is the 17-35 mm G lens (which is expensive but evidently slower than the new 17-35 mm) a better or worse choice for use with the D7.
The optimized lenses are designed for the smaller APS-c size sensor. Theses lenses are smaller and cheaper to manufacture than the full-size lenses. On top of that the "G" are high-end lenses similar to the "L" line in Canon for example... Non-"G" lenses are usually cheaper

Quote:
3. Are more new lenses planned? What are the anticipated prices and configurations? Will there be "G" lenses in this format?
Probably not, the "G" lenses work in any camera including the D7 while the smaller APS-c lenses only work with cropped dSLR and not on regular film cameras for example (or future full-frame dSLR) :?

:idea: - You might want to check the pictures here before deciding on the D70 especially @ ISO3200 (and slow shutter speed): http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04...a7dgallery.asp
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:30 AM   #3

About question 1: I have a friend who owns a D70, very good camera for the price but nothing to do with the 7D: instead of providing a clever and pro set of wheels for exposure, WB, ... Nikon offers one sole setting wheel full of pointAndShoot camera options: sport, portrait, landscape, ... Who cares ? Nikon D70 menus (where you often have to deep) are also cumbersome, not comparable with the clear 7D ones. Just my two cents but when you take a look at both cameras and get them in your hands, you understand why the Minolta is more expensive!
rudymalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:25 AM   #4

Wow!! I couldn't of said it better myself. When I was choosing a camera, I longed for the Nikon D70. When the Minolta 7D came out, most reviews had negative comments about the price and "value for your money". When I actually held and played with both the D70 and 7D, it was a no brainer. The 7D has a much better build quality to it. The Nikon is an awesome camera for the money, and in that price range you probably couldn't do any beter. But....the Minolta has many more features, a larger screen, anti-shake built-in, etc....

How can you have all that and sell at a price similar to a camera that doesn't have all that.?!
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote