Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:14 AM   #1

Has anyone had a failure when attempting to use this lens with the 7D?

Today I happily took delivery of a 2nd hand model, having been assured by the shop that their staff had tried this lens with the camera and it worked OK. It looked in good condition, but didn't work for me. Symptoms were a very prolonged AS warm up and then continuous focus hunting. Tried swapping back to original lens which worked OK again. The Sigma went back on and the camera then locked up. I tried disabling AS, and mounting on tripod. ISO was 400 and plenty of light to keep shutter speed high. No joy. Then finally one shot taken but couldn't view in LCD as camera "died" again. The shot viewable once initial lens back on. I had also checked the serial number with the Sigma rep and lens has newer generation CMOS. He's asking Sigma for more info and in the meantime I am preparing to send back. Unfortunately that won't stop me hankering after this lens having seen excellent results from it -- it's also a real "boy's toy"! (and I can't source dedicated Minolta lens at anywhere near the same price)
brettania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:45 AM   #2

Did you use your Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO with analog Dynax 7. If not, then the problem may be the wrong chipin Sigma lens. I had the focusing problems with analog Dynax 7 and the same Sigma lens, but then Sigma informed me that since Dynax 7 came to market after Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO, they were not able to make it fully compatible. Ayway, after chip upgrade (done by Sigma free of charge!) everythingis working fine.So, maybeyou should contact your Sigma representative for help.
Mikolaj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:48 AM   #3

Sorry it has taken a bit of time to update this posting. I ended up buying a new one, because of doubts over the second-hand model. Then my 7D took a firm grip on another lens, a Sigma 75-300, and would't let go. After repair eventually tried 70-200 on and had no problems and great results. Some sample pics at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11600149
brettania
brettania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:18 PM   #4

Hey, my g/f has the 7D and it works great, except with her sigma 75?-300mm lense, very loud vibrateing for a good 3 seconds each time the camera is powered on with that lens. apparently it will take fine pictures after that but the whole camera shakes when the lens does this and that cant be good.

but this is good news if sigma will fix it FREE! can anyone let me know how to go about getting this done with sigma?
kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:12 PM   #5

why would you risk destroying a $1500 camera to save $100 on a non factory lens?

the lens mount assembly on a new minolta (especially the 7D) is EXTREMELY precise and sometimes the contacts/latch do not properly align w/non factory glass
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote