Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:59 PM   #1

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...58&forum_id=62
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:26 PM   #2

Here's one just because I like it!

2005:01:15 17:19:17
28mm
42mm (in 35mm film)
1/15 sec, f/32
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 61KB
Image size: 640 x 426
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Old Jan 16, 2005, 9:55 PM   #3

Wow..the lack of interest/response indicates something. I'm not sure what though...

Is this camera already pushing Daisies?
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Administrator

We're all waiting on the glamour shots. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:45 PM   #5

I did not want to say anything, because I am on the road, and the image on my laptop seems to have a pinkish/purplish cast and be slightly blurry. :lol:

Most probably it is caused by the laptopstft screen.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:35 AM   #6

I certainly looked, and kinda scratched my chin....and kinda looked some more...but I have dug around (and around) for so long looking for info on this camera, that to some extent, it's like an anticlimax. Add to that Evolt, and Canon, Nikon, have arrived with some hefty newcomers to push it to the rear as far as the line up for exciting news making cameras goes. Almost have to stifle a yawn when I'm reading the "latest" on it. Maybe because it is the "latest" to arrive. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:57 AM   #7
Administrator

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
I did not want to say anything, because I am on the road, and the image on my laptop seems to have a pinkish/purplish cast and be slightly blurry. :lol:

Most probably it is caused by the laptopstft screen.

The cast was probably the sky color in late afternoon, which is what I think Kalypso probably liked about it. The softness is probably the downsizing/compression to get it small enough for posting, coupled with some diffractionfrom being stropped down tof/32. Most lenses will be much sharper using a mid range aperture.

Also, by most reports, the images from this model are a little soft directly from the camera (very little sharpening is being applied). But,users report that theysharpennicely in PP.

I've been quite impressed by the images I've seen from this model so far. You'll find some very nice wildlife shots here (Sol used a 300mm f/2.8 for many of them):

http://solarviewphoto.com/index.html

Joséhas a very nice mixture of 7D photos here. He's got a Minolta 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 G(D), 100/2.8 Macro (D); and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (and I think he may have added a couple of newer zooms to the mix, too). ;-)

http://www.pbase.com/jmb_56/maxxum_7d

Here are some wedding photos that Paul took as second shooter using a 7 Digital. Some are at ISO 3200 (and Paul said that he left noise reduction in the camera turned off, with none applied during post processing for these samples, either).

http://www.pbase.com/cham4807/dynax_7d_wedding_images

Of course, there are many more photos I've seen from this model. My opinion so far (based on looking at photos and reading comments from some photographers that I respect) is that it's got a few "quirks", but it's a real winner.

I'm looking forward to some more photos from Kalypso, too -- along with hisappraisal of it's strengths and weaknesses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:11 AM   #8

I agree the images I have seen from this camera have been good, and it has a lot going for it. It is the one I currently try to steer people to look at when asked the dreaded what to buy question.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:07 AM   #9

The sunset image I posted is actually quite sharp in the 8x10 print I made. The reduction for the Web along with the reflections in the water make it look soft...even to me.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 3:40 PM   #10
NHL

IMO Kalypso is having a good time with the "anti-shake" - just check at the shutter speeds on most of his shots! :lol: :-) :lol: :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote