Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:10 PM   #1

I have been researching for awhile now on the D-70, 300D and now just recently the Minolta 7D. I had settled on the D-70 when my dad mentioned he has several lenses from his Maxxum 7000 that should work. Is there an online guide (looked but couldn't find one) that would help me identify if these are quality lenses that would save me money on glass and help justify the higher cost of the 7D? All three lenses he owns are marked AF according to him ( I haven't had a chance to see the lenses) but other than that all he could tell me was there was a 28mm AF, 50mm AF and a 70-210mm AF. These lenses would likely be mid to late 80's vintage. The 7D was out of my budget but if the lenses save me money I budgeted for glass then maybe it's doable.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:42 AM   #2
Sci

I don't know of any websites, but I suggest you judge the lenses for yourself. I recommend you find a camera store that will let you bring in the lenses and try them out on a 7D body. Take pictures with each lens at different f-stops and focal lengths (for the zoom). Bring your own CF card so you can take it home and look at the pictures on your computer. If you can't do that, buy some quality film, do the same tests using your dad's 7000, develop and printpictures at a good laband see if the lenses live up to your standards.

Good luck,

Sci

Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:42 PM   #3

Chili wrote:
Quote:
All three lenses he owns are marked AF according to him ( I haven't had a chance to see the lenses) but other than that all he could tell me was there was a 28mm AF, 50mm AF and a 70-210mm AF. These lenses would likely be mid to late 80's vintage.
If those are Minolta brand lenses, they are probably very good to excellent. Minolta has generally made very high quality lenses.
The Minolta 70-210s are supposed to be excellent lenses.
The 28mm and 50mm should also be very good to excellent. If the 50mm is a macro lens, it will probably be excellent - 50mm macros tend to be close to the best quality.

If the lenses are not Minolta made, then it depends on the manufacturer.
abredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:54 AM   #4

with your dad's minolta AF lenses you would have very good - excellent glass for an equivalent range of 42 - 315 mm (digital 7D has a 1.5x factor)

i personally made the same decision and now have:

28mm f2.8

50mm f1.7

75-300mm f4.5-5.6

500mm f8 (reflex)

for a 42 - 750mm range

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the replys folks. The camera had been lent to another family member for a few years and upon closer inspection it appears the lens weren't cared for very well. I ended up with a Canon 300D with the kit lense and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM for shooting my son's sports.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote