Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:43 AM   #11
Administrator

Keith Hanlan In Ottawa wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again Jim. It's an fascinating topic. I wonder how the manufacturers will address it. It looks like the Metz is going to be on my shopping list now.
The Metz is not a perfect solution, either. In non-Auto modes, I've seen reports that the Minolta flashes have more accurate exposure (after calibration if you get a "bad" one), and it's Auto Mode is not gong to be aware of your metering mode or focus point (for example, you may want to use exposure lock and reframe).

But, I've seen owners of both flash systems say that they prefer the Metz, especially for the quality of light; and exposure in other modes is still relatively consistent (so you can use custom settings in the camera that are specific to each flash mode for correct exposure with them using compensation. I've seen a few users report using them this way.

So, the Metz is on my short list for a flash system, too.

I may even just get an old Auto Thrystor type flashand set the flash to match the camera. It's not like photographers didn't use this technique for a long time, before manufacturers started refining flash systems for off the film metering, etc. ;-)

I've got an old Vivitar that would work this way (but, then I'd lose HSS if I wanted to use shutter speeds faster than the camera's flash sync speed for fill flash in daylight). Of course, you'd need to use the sync port with a 7D, or buy an adapter to give the camera a standard hot shoe with one of these.

The 5D doesn't have a sync port (or custom settings like the 7D). So, this makes it even more difficult to find a "best"solution, and as of right this minute, the 5D will be my next camera. I'll be giving one a "workout" soon to see how I like it.

Oops -- I didn't answer your question:

Quote:
you were referring to the (D) model and its exposure issue - not the older 5600HS.

Was that where I went off the rails?
[/quote]

Minolta didn't make a non-D version of this flash: they are all the 5600HS (D).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:14 AM   #12

Hi Jim!

I changed my Dynax 5D for a 7D with the last firmware factory fitted. As like you, I use only "Auto" type strobes in "Manual"...set to f: 5,6 at 200 ISO...& works extremely well; now...a little bit "Of Topic"...want to know exactly the maximum Trigger voltage; that the Hot Shoe can be use safely...PC is till 400 volts...Hot Shoe...?

Thank so much Jim for your encyclopedism,

Cheers,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:31 AM   #13
Administrator

People that seem to know these models tell me that both the 5D and 7D hotshoe is probably rated at 6 volts.

But, AFAIK, KM never published the specs.

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:41 PM   #14

Hi Jim!

Thank you for your rapid reply, I wrote a week ago to KM Support in Germany, (Where Israel is listed), with NO input/response from them...very rare consideration for an a German gentlemen!

I really hope..that i will obtain any information soon, so I will added for your learnedness & all KM 7D/5D happy owners.

Cheers,

Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:48 PM   #15
Administrator

They probably don't know either, and if you get a reply, they'd probably just be guessing (or making assumptions that may or may not be correct). ;-)

You'd need someone to look at the schematics and see what kind of SCR is being used for voltage isolation.

I would not trust any flash with a trigger voltage over about 9 or 10 volts via the hotshoe without using a Wein Safe sync or equivalent protection.

Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:20 AM   #16

Dear Jim!

What you wrote I'm 100% sure that you think correctly, as my 3 "Auto" oldie strobes in mind, Metz 32MZ-3 (Check it with my Fluke 77 DMM > 4.7v, my Sunpak 433AF > 7.12v, & a Vivitar 3700...today with something inside that smell burned...I must take it for be repair?), so those two ones in working conditions are less trigger voltage that you wrote...my first selection is the Metz one (Less voltage!).

Just before I received your reply, Jim; I forward again to KM Support division in Germany...a "Reminder"...for a hope that at least will be some reply...?

Be in touch!

Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:41 AM   #17

Hi Jim!

The response to my today mail from KM support in Germany!

Dear Mr. Cozac,

sorry for our late reply. Unfortunately we don't have any information about the used / permitted voltages of our flash shoes. I tried to get some detailed values, but the thing is that the flash shoes basically are designed to attach flashes of the same brand, so usually that info is not needed. Probably Metz as the developer of this flash can tell you if this device is compatible to this camera.

With kind regards,

Mike M√ľndnich
Konica Minolta Support

So Jim you are so cute...Bravo!!!! we can't relay on KM support anymore! Very Pity!!!

Among us...really doesn't matter I'm sure that as you wrote me, till 10 v it's 100% safe!.

Thank you so much again for your lovely inputs,

Be always well!,

Sorry...they wrote me in "Blue Navy" color...it's very hard to read...what I can do?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:30 PM   #18

oops double post...
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:34 PM   #19

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jim!

The response to my today mail from KM support in Germany!

Dear Mr. Cozac,

sorry for our late reply. Unfortunately we don't have any information about the used / permitted voltages of our flash shoes. I tried to get some detailed values, but the thing is that the flash shoes basically are designed to attach flashes of the same brand, so usually that info is not needed. Probably Metz as the developer of this flash can tell you if this device is compatible to this camera.

With kind regards,

Mike M√ľndnich
Konica Minolta Support

So Jim you are so cute...Bravo!!!! we can't relay on KM support anymore! Very Pity!!!

Among us...really doesn't matter I'm sure that as you wrote me, till 10 v it's 100% safe!.

Thank you so much again for your lovely inputs,

Be always well!,

Sorry...they wrote me in "Blue Navy" color...it's very hard to read...what I can do?

that's easier to read now!

:-)
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:58 AM   #20

Hi Rduve!

Our Lord will bless you for ever...!!! Thank you so much!

Cheers,