Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:34 AM   #1

I just got "my" Maxxum 7D, and I am going to upgrade the firmware on it. Since the camera is not mine and I am just using it for a while, I wanted to know any little quirks when installing the firmware (if any) so as not to screw up the camera:lol:
Thanks!
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:19 AM   #2

I had no trouble, although I have read others have.

Just downlaod the firmware update.

I then transfered that to my compact flash card. Put the card in the camera, turn it on, and it automatically begins the update.

It was that simple.

-Make sure the compact flash card is empty before doing this. I formatted mine in the camera before I used it.
-Make sure the camera has enough battery life to complete the update. Not sure, but I think it took about 2-4 minutes.
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3

I had the same experience as 1958fury, no problems at all.

Like he said, just format the card prior to attempting the update.

Charlie
chaznolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:19 PM   #4
Administrator

I haven't read the firmware instructions for the 7D. Sometimes manufacturers include this precaution, and sometimes they don't....

What precaution? Make sure that the operating system has flushed all writes to the card.

After you copy the firmware update to the memory card, use the "safely remove hardware" icon in your system tray (down by your clock when a card reader is attached), before removing the memory card from the card reader

and/or

Make sure that the policies for your card reader are setup so thatwrites are not cached (set to optimize for quick removal):

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5

How do you transfer the firmware to the compact flash card?. I need to update my camera.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 4:09 PM   #6
Administrator

belibeli wrote:
Quote:
How do you transfer the firmware to the compact flash card?. I need to update my camera.
See this Firmware Installation Guide

This post has firmware download links:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Old May 14, 2005, 11:47 PM   #7

I had never done a firmware upgrade on any camera until read about one available for the Maxxum 7D. Just follow the links that have been provided by the others and follow the instructions.

Idownloaded all the pictures off my memory card and then formatted it, just to be sure. Downloaded the upgrade file to my computer, copied them to my memory card. Put the card in the camera as directed by the instructions. upgraded with no problems. Very easy. If you can copy files on a computer, put a memory card in and out of your camera and turn it on and off -

YOU CAN UPGRADEthe firmware!!:|

42stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:22 AM   #8

Wich is the lastest firmware for 7D?. My camera has 1.00 e. I downloaded from minolta the new firmware and it is the same one 1.00 e. If the lastest is 1.00 u, where can I get it?
Old May 24, 2005, 6:47 AM   #9
Administrator

belibeli wrote:
Quote:
Wich is the lastest firmware for 7D?. My camera has 1.00 e. I downloaded from minolta the new firmware and it is the same one 1.00 e. If the lastest is 1.00 u, where can I get it?
The lastest firmware version is 1.10. The e,u, or j only indicate the region the camera was intended for sale in (e=Europe, u=United States, j=Japan). The actual firmware is the same.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

Old May 30, 2005, 4:44 AM   #10

Thanks, I have now 1.10 and it´s much better.