Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

I should be getting a 7D soon (yay!:lol and I am looking for a reasonable mid range zoom lens. I have it down to those three lenses, does anyone have any experence with any of those three?
I have also heard good things about the older 70-210 f/4, so I will look into that as well.
Any feedback welcome
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bernabeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 990
Default

I own and use the 75-300

It is adequate (on the 7D it is a 105-450)

See attached image for sample image taken with lens

However, for the 7D i would prefer the 70-210! (105-315 equiv)

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:23 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
I own and use the 75-300

It is adequate (on the 7D it is a 105-450)


However, for the 7D i would prefer the 70-210! (105-315 equiv)
Why do you say that?
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:32 PM   #4
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
Why do you say that?
There's really no 'good' lens in the 70-300mm range from any of the major manufacturers - The top two spots here are taken by the Sigma entries: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel


Minolta dominates the 70-210 (both G series) category however: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef

... not the least of which the SSM is super fast in AF
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bernabeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 990
Default

the 75-300 is slightly soft and it is prone to 'purple fringing' (especially on the digital 7D)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
Why do you say that?
There's really no 'good' lens in the 70-300mm range from any of the major manufacturers - The top two spots here are taken by the Sigma entries: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel


Minolta dominates the 70-210 (both G series) category however: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef

... not the least of which the SSM is super fast in AF
I doubt I will be getting a "G" lens for a while, but is the "regular" 70-210 any good?:lol:
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bernabeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 990
Default

significantly better than the 75-300
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bernabeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 990
Default

the 70-210 is significantly better than the 75-300

(a 'sleeper' lens is the 100-200 f4.5 for $75 used)
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
KM_krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 292
Default

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
the 70-210 is significantly better than the 75-300

(a 'sleeper' lens is the 100-200 f4.5 for $75 used)
I currently have the 100-200 f4.5, but it is giving bad CA when used with my borrowed 7D :sad: (its my dads old lens from his 7000i)
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
bernabeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 990
Default

try B&H used dept, they have a minolta 80-200 f/2.8 for $749 !!!!!
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:16 PM.